Wednesday, March 03, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

The election is over — but the work is not

After three and a half excruciatingly long days, the race for president was called for Joe Biden on Saturday morning by the Associated Press and other major media organizations. This was a historic moment, as Kamala Harris is poised to become the first woman, the first Black person and the first South Asian person to hold the office of vice president. 

For many, the election results were cause for celebration — or at least relief. For others, including those with political views to both the right and to the left of the president-elect, an incoming Biden administration was no reason to pop champagne bottles. 

Regardless of political leanings, it felt like we were waiting forever for Nov. 3 to arrive. And now that it’s come and gone, feelings of happiness, disappointment, or a mix of both may feel like they’re settling in for good. But the work did not end on Saturday. Your work, whatever it may be, should continue. 

In the months leading up to the election, and in the years that have unfolded during the presidency of Donald Trump, Rice students have put in work for the political causes they believe in. The Rice University Young Democrats and the Rice University College Republicans have debated against each other, supported opposing candidates and worked together on voter registration drives. Following the 2016 election, Civic Duty Rice came onto the scene to offer students a nonpartisan path to getting involved politically, and Rice Left has shown up in recent years to provide leftist students with a space to discuss and organize. There have been shorter-lived groups organizing around particular candidates — Rice Students for Beto, Owls for Bernie and most recently, Rice for Biden (and the short-lived Rice Against Biden).

Outside the realm of explicit political organizing, Rice students have also coalesced to take action on issues of social and racial justice on campus. In the aftermath of George Floyd’s murder, which ushered in a reckoning with racial injustice across the nation, students organized to create Rice for Black Life in May and hosted remote fundraisers to support local Black liberatory organizations. Around the same time, Black students also circulated a list of demands to improve Black students’ access and visibility on campus, foster greater racial sensitivity among administrative and residential entities and make Rice’s curriculum more inclusive. Students have taken those demands into their own hands by adamantly protesting for the removal of the Founder’s Memorial statue with daily sit-ins, projections, an open letter to the administration and local media coverage. Students have also looked after our community with Rice Mutual Aid, by supporting the Houston Coalition for Equitable Development Without Displacement and in a number of other ways not listed in this editorial.

We have implored the administration to take decisive action to meet those demands and publicly respond to the protests against the statue, and we reiterate those charges now. Furthermore, we implore students to resist seeing these efforts as issues of the past or battles that have been won — our community needs continued energy and support from students. 

Moreover, we urge everyone on and off campus to channel any energy you had surrounding the election toward causes you believe in. There will be more elections (this one isn’t even over), and there will also be more voter suppression, natural disasters, gentrification and communities who need help. Whatever work you do to help your community, don’t lose sight of the change you wish to see and keep going.

While Biden’s campaign ran on promises of diversity and inclusion, his administration will not magically erase the long-standing social inequalities that have boiled to the surface over the last four years. Whether you support the president-elect or not, this shift in leadership is no reason to become complacent in the issues plaguing the nation and the Rice community. 

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Rishab Ramapriyan, Ivanka Perez, Amy Qin, Elizabeth Hergert, Ella Feldman, Katelyn Landry, Rynd Morgan, Savannah Kuchar, Ben Baker-Katz, Simona Matovic and Tina Liu.

Ted Cruz has embarrassed Texas for too long

Ted Cruz has had a crazy 2021. In just two months he incited an insurrection, refused to confirm the outcome of a free and fair election, and abandoned Texas during a deadly natural disaster. All in all, I think that he is one of the most disgraceful people currently in office. That needs to change, and since he is not going to wake up tomorrow with a shiny new set of morals and a backbone, it is clear that Ted Cruz must go.

Low SA election turnout reveals need for better campus engagement

With only 24 percent participation, this year’s Student Association presidential election had the lowest voter turnout in the past five years. While student apathy towards the SA Senate and its leadership can easily — and perhaps fairly — be attributed to recent events such as the pandemic or the recent winter storm, SA election turnout has consistently declined over this five-year period.  

Scroll less, live more: My experience quitting social media

We’ve all heard that expression before: if it's not on social media, then it didn’t happen. It seems like nowadays we can’t do much for the fun or the joy of it without feeling that urge to take a picture or video, upload it to the web, and tag our friends in it. In trying times like these, we need to realize that number of likes and retweets aren’t a healthy measure of social affirmation. We need to consider taking a serious break from social media (maybe pick up a hobby) and re-examine our relationships with these platforms.