Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Thresher Editorial Board

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.

Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary

In a rather rare contested election, the Student Association has two candidates on the upcoming ballot for secretary: Chelsea Asibbey and Calla Doh. Due to her fresh perspective outside of the Student Association, willingness to take initiative on her own ideas and emphasis on serving Rice communities, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary. 

Run for SA to make a difference

As this year’s Student Association election cycle officially begins in early February, let’s not forget last year’s uncontested slate of candidates and the “Dilf Hunter” write-in campaign. The student body’s dissatisfaction with the SA has been clear, with many even calling for change in the way the SA operates, or questioning the allocation of their current resources elsewhere. If you’re one of the many jaded about the SA, we pose a question: Why not run for SA yourself?

24/7 Fondy presents more cons than pros

A petition was posted by an anonymous Rice student Jan. 13 asking for Fondren Library to be open 24/7. By publication, the petition had garnered 313 signatures. While we understand the desire for more study spaces, the extra labor required to support this endeavor may cause more difficulties than it solves. Instead, we have some suggestions for other study spaces and resources that those who want it can access 24/7.

Show up to support student athletes

Despite their disappointing 45-21 season-ending loss to Texas State in the First Responder Bowl, the Rice football team has reason for optimism going forward: The Owls played in their second-straight bowl game while going 4-4 in their first season as members of the American Athletic Conference. Winning their most games in a season since 2014 and defeating crosstown rivals University of Houston in the Bayou Bucket has made this season a successful one for head coach Mike Bloomgren, who has significantly turned around this football program since he arrived in 2018.