Monday, January 25, 2021 — Houston, TX 46°

Ben Baker-Katz

Football trounces No. 15 Marshall

On a cold and gloomy Saturday in Huntington, West Virginia, Rice football came in and delivered a stunning upset to the Marshall University Thundering Herd. Despite being favored by three touchdowns and being ranked No. 15 in the country, the Herd was held in check by an Owl defense that allowed zero points on the afternoon and, with five interceptions, propelled the Owls to a 20-0 victory.

Owls dominate in the water on Senior Day

Rice swimming won their first meet of the season last weekend, winning 15 of 21 events over the two-day meet and handing Tulane University a 245-146 loss. This was the final home meet of the season, and the final home meet ever for the seven seniors on the team. 

Amazing Grace: Forbes finds support in family

Many of us, especially in these trying times, find ourselves being thankful for the support our family provides us. For sophomore cross country star Grace Forbes, family is everything. Forbes, who became just the third Owl in school history to win the Conference USA Championship Individual Title last weekend, said her family is the driving force behind her success. 

One and done: XC completes season with C-USA Championship

The Rice men’s and women’s cross country teams began and ended their season on Saturday when they competed in the Conference USA Championship, their first and only meet of the season. The men’s team finished third overall, and the women finished fourth. But the story of the day was sophomore Grace Forbes, who became just the third Owl in the history of the program to win an individual conference title.

Owls jump back into the pool

Rice swimming kicked off its 2020 season last Friday with a dual meet against Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas. Junior Becca Evans captured first place in the 100-yard freestyle and anchored a win in the 200-free relay, but the Owls came up short as the Aggies took the meet by a score of 150-107.

Owls name Collins starting quarterback

Football head coach Mike Bloomgren has named his starting quarterback less than two weeks before their first game: Mike Collins, a graduate transfer from Texas Christian University, will be under center when the Owls take the field on Oct. 24.  

MLB Owls finish regular season

The MLB regular season came to a close on Monday, marking the first major U.S. sport to start and finish an entire, albeit shorter, regular season in the midst of the pandemic. Down to 60 games from the usual 162, this MLB season had its share of excitement. Three former Owls saw playing time this summer: Tyler Duffey of the Minnesota Twins,  Anthony Rendon of the Los Angeles Angels and Brock Holt of the Washington Nationals.  

Why is football being played if other sports aren’t?

Over the past couple of months, talks about restarting athletic programs have centered on one thing: college football. Even though Rice announced earlier this week that the start of their season would be delayed until Oct. 24, other programs across the country started their seasons this past weekend.