Tuesday, October 20, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Ben Baker-Katz

Owls name Collins starting quarterback

Football head coach Mike Bloomgren has named his starting quarterback less than two weeks before their first game: Mike Collins, a graduate transfer from Texas Christian University, will be under center when the Owls take the field on Oct. 24.  

MLB Owls finish regular season

The MLB regular season came to a close on Monday, marking the first major U.S. sport to start and finish an entire, albeit shorter, regular season in the midst of the pandemic. Down to 60 games from the usual 162, this MLB season had its share of excitement. Three former Owls saw playing time this summer: Tyler Duffey of the Minnesota Twins,  Anthony Rendon of the Los Angeles Angels and Brock Holt of the Washington Nationals.  

Why is football being played if other sports aren’t?

Over the past couple of months, talks about restarting athletic programs have centered on one thing: college football. Even though Rice announced earlier this week that the start of their season would be delayed until Oct. 24, other programs across the country started their seasons this past weekend.  

Football season to start season Oct. 3 at Marshall

In a summer that was full of uncertainty, the return college sports has been one of the biggest unknowns. As the school year begins and decision making windows shrink, it appears that Conference USA will move forward with the plan to play football this fall. Head coach Mike Bloomgren praised his team’s commitment throughout an extraordinarily strange summer. 

C-USA moves volleyball, soccer seasons to the spring

When Rice officially canceled the remainder of its spring sports seasons on March 12 of this year, all eyes turned to the fall. As the COVID-19 situation evolved in Houston, the question shifted from how we would finish the spring season to whether we would be able to play at all in the fall. Five months later, we finally have an answer: Conference USA announced on Friday that all fall sports, with the exception of football, have been postponed until the spring, meaning that there will be no conference championships this season. 

Disappointing baseball season cut short

Though they did not know it at the time, the Rice baseball team played their final game of the 2020 season on March 10. A 6-2 loss to then-No. 22 Texas A&M University, their final game was representative of their 2-14 season as a whole in more ways than one. 

Erica Ogwumike drafted by Minnesota Lynx

Former Rice women’s basketball star Erica Ogwumike was selected in the third round (No. 26 overall) in the WNBA draft on Friday night. She was drafted by the New York Liberty, before having her rights traded to the Minnesota Lynx.  

Football adds defensive talent through recruitment

As Rice football turns its sights on the 2020 season, the first step to take is to bring in a strong recruiting class and improve from the past years’. Recruitment has been a challenge for the Owls in the past, with their 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes being ranked nationally at 112 and 111 respectively, according to 247 Sports.