Sunday, August 09, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Ben Baker-Katz

Disappointing baseball season cut short

Though they did not know it at the time, the Rice baseball team played their final game of the 2020 season on March 10. A 6-2 loss to then-No. 22 Texas A&M University, their final game was representative of their 2-14 season as a whole in more ways than one. 

Erica Ogwumike drafted by Minnesota Lynx

Former Rice women’s basketball star Erica Ogwumike was selected in the third round (No. 26 overall) in the WNBA draft on Friday night. She was drafted by the New York Liberty, before having her rights traded to the Minnesota Lynx.  

Football adds defensive talent through recruitment

As Rice football turns its sights on the 2020 season, the first step to take is to bring in a strong recruiting class and improve from the past years’. Recruitment has been a challenge for the Owls in the past, with their 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes being ranked nationally at 112 and 111 respectively, according to 247 Sports. 

Men’s basketball snags No. 12 seed in C-USA tournament

Rice men’s basketball will begin the Conference USA tournament tonight when they take on Florida International University at 6:30 p.m. in Frisco, Texas at the Ford Center at the Star. The Owls have already seen the Panthers once this year, culminating in a 92-78 Rice victory back in January.  

Women’s basketball enters C-USA tournament as No. 1 seed

Rice women’s basketball will look to defend its Conference USA title when the team plays its first game of the C-USA tournament tomorrow. The Owls’ opponent is not yet known, as they will be playing the winner of Wednesday’s game pitting Marshall University against the University of Southern Mississippi.  

Women’s basketball aims for C-USA No. 1 seed

Rice women’s basketball plays two crucial games at home this week, one against the University of Texas, El Paso on Thursday and the other against Old Dominion University on Saturday. Rice and Old Dominion are tied for the best record in Conference USA, which means that if both teams win their respective Thursday games, the Sunday matchup will decide both the conference champion and who gets the No. 1 seed in the C-USA tournament that starts next week. 

Basketball seeks return to winning ways against UNT

Rice women’s basketball will aim to get back into the win column when the team faces the University of North Texas at home on Thursday. Rice has lost two games in a row to Conference USA opponents: Old Dominion University and the University of North Carolina, Charlotte. Previously, the Owls had won 11 straight games, all against C-USA opponents.  

Baseball 2020: Trei Cruz, a humble and hopeful Owl

Every baseball player remembers when they first picked up the game. For most, it’s playing catch in the backyard or hitting off of a tee. But for Trei Cruz, junior shortstop on this year’s Rice baseball team, his first baseball memory is everything but normal.

Men’s basketball seeks revenge against North Texas

After a tough weekend that saw the team lose against two Conference USA opponents, Rice men’s basketball will aim to even its season series against the University of North Texas on Saturday afternoon at Tudor Fieldhouse. According to head coach Scott Pera, UNT — which is ranked No. 1 in C-USA — will pose a difficult challenge for the Owls.