Rice student struck by car on inner loop, taken to trauma center

By Ben Baker-Katz     4/18/23 10:30pm

A Rice student was struck by a moving car as they attempted to cross the inner loop near Baker College at around 1:15 a.m on Saturday, April 15. The student was transported to a trauma center in the Texas Medical Center, and their condition is currently unknown. Out of respect for the student and their family, the Thresher is not releasing their name at this time. 

According to an email from a Rice University Police Department officer obtained by the Thresher, the driver of the vehicle was also a Rice student, though their identity has not been released.

According to RUPD Chief Clemente Rodriguez, the driver of the vehicle remained at the scene and “fully cooperated” with officers in their investigation. Rodriguez declined to comment further, citing RUPD’s ongoing investigation into the incident. 

This is a developing story.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.