Thursday, December 02, 2021 — Houston, TX °

From the opinion editor’s desk: The opinion section is a space meant for the Rice community

img-2674-polarr-2-nayeli-shad

By Nayeli Shad     11/16/21 11:11pm

As the semester nears its end, it’s time to reflect on the state of the opinion section this fall amidst a near return to normalcy, and to look forward to another semester of opinions. We’ve had a multitude of opinions and editorials published on a wide range of subjects. Still, some people coming to campus for the first time or who did not engage much with our paper while we were working online last year may not be all that familiar with the opinion section. I want to reintroduce the possibilities that the section offers for all of the Rice community.

The Thresher accepts guest opinions from any Rice student, faculty, staff or alum about topics that are related to the Rice community. Additionally, if you want to respond to a piece that the Thresher has published, you can submit a letter to the editor to be published in the opinion section.

Many community members flock to the opinion section to push for big change, and some have been successful. But as my predecessor so eloquently wrote, your opinion doesn’t have to change the world. No matter how big or small the issue, if you have an opinion that you’re passionate about and want to share with your peers, the opinion section is the place for you to do that.

The range of topics covered in the opinion section are broad. Recently published opinions span from reconsidering the use of the terms Hispanic and Latinx on campus to easing COVID-19 restrictions on student activities to bringing back the Rice University Farmers Market. All opinions are welcome so long as they are pertinent to the Rice community.

To get started writing your opinion, all you have to do is follow our opinion submission policy, which includes guidelines on content, format and authorship. When you’re ready, send a draft to thresher@rice.edu. If you’re apprehensive about writing, don’t worry — we’ll work with you every step of the editing process to get your opinion out to the community in its clearest form. Every edit is approved by you to preserve your voice as much as possible. That is the spirit of the opinion section.

It’s past time to bring Chick-fil-A back to The Hoot

For those of you who are seniors, you’ll remember a campus controversy that broke out in April 2019 when The Hoot announced its decision to stop serving Chick-fil-A amid criticism of its donations to three organizations — the Salvation Army, the Paul Anderson Youth Home and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes — that have taken anti-LGBTQ+ stances. When the policy took effect the following fall, I spoke out against the decision in this paper, arguing the secondary boycott was nothing more than token enforcement of an unworkable standard. I still believe that we shouldn’t take into account political considerations when we eat. But The Hoot didn’t budge, and the controversy quickly faded away. I have close friends on both sides of the issue, so I didn’t push the matter any further.

We need proactive academic policies

We’re nearing the end of another semester in the COVID-19 pandemic, filled with policy changes requiring flexibility from administration, faculty and students alike. We appreciate the administration’s responsiveness to the evolving pandemic, but the continuous changes are not without consequences. This semester has been hard on many students’ mental health due to insufficient academic accommodations on top of pandemic-related stress. While we understand the necessity in being flexible with COVID policies due to the ever-changing nature of the pandemic, administration and professors should recognize the impact this has on students and their mental health, and be proactive in accounting for this.