The Hoot opens on the South side

By Nicole Zhao     9/14/11 7:00pm

The Hoot opened at its new location in South Servery Sunday and has so far garnered steady business.

The self-sufficient student-run after-hours eatery first opened at its original location in West Servery on January 11, 2010. Its success led to plans for The Hoot's expansion into the south colleges. While the west colleges location is open seven days a week, the south colleges location is open Sunday through Friday. Both are open from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and serve pizza from Papa John's, food from Chick-fil-A, soda, candy and energy drinks.

According to Residential Dining Interim Director Johnny Curet, the space was created over the summer specifically for The Hoot South. It was subsequently decided that during the day, the space would be used to serve graduate students meals.

"We decided since [Hoot employees] would only be there from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., we wanted to utilize the opportunity to help out others," Curet said.

According to Hoot General Manager Justin Sable, business at The Hoot's south colleges location has been on par with that of The Hoot North.

"Everyone in South couldn't wait for this to happen," Sable, a Will Rice College junior, said. "We're at about even business at both [locations], which we expected since they're about the same size, though South's a little bigger."

Customers and employees alike appreciate the new location.

"It was something we had wanted for a long time because we knew we were losing business because students thought [North] was too far," Health and Maintenance Special Projects Manager for The Hoot South Joshua Herzstein said.

One such student was Lovett junior Schaefer Edwards.

"[North] was a hike. We went a lot two years ago, but we stopped going because it was too far. We'll go to this one more," Edwards said.

Wiess sophomore Bahrom Firozgary, who ate at The Hoot North last year, liked that the new location allowed for "more last minute decisions," he said. "My friend literally just texted me, ‘Hey, you wanna go to The Hoot?' I [also] like that the workers here are people I know."

In addition to where the space is relatively situated, employees also liked the space itself.

"It's nice that people can come and hang out," Herzstein, a Hanszen College senior, said. "That's a little harder to do at West [Servery], where it's more of a hallway."

Sable agreed.

"[The Hoot South] has a very different feel from North," he said. "In North, a lot of people take [their food] out. [The Hoot South] is more of a sit-down-and-relax place."