Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

2024-moody-36
Solomon Ni / Thresher

By James Cancelarich     4/21/24 11:41pm

Students said they appreciated this year’s outdoor venue — last year’s X-Fest was held in Tudor Fieldhouse due to inclement weather — and expanded food options. 

The event celebrates the Moody Foundation’s $100 million dollar gift to Rice, which will fund construction of the new student center and support undergraduate extracurricular activities. Moody X-Fest is a part of inquiry week, which highlights research, design and creative works at Rice.

Lana Nguyen, who performed with Rice Lions, the lion-dancing team and one of X-Fest’s featured student groups, said that they were excited to interact with the audience. The Rice Philharmonic performed a cappella renditions of popular songs, including Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” and Hozier’s “Too Sweet.” It was the second year they had performed at X-Fest, and singer Taylor Stowers said she appreciated the crowd’s energy.

“It was so fun,” Stowers, a Duncan College junior, said. “The energy of the crowd was fantastic. Even at soundcheck earlier, the fact that we worked with professional equipment in there, we feel that this is a real, actual performance. We had to step up our game a little bit, but it was a really positive way.”

Zucker took the X-Fest stage at 8:30 p.m.“Who wants to cry?” he asked at the beginning of his hour-long performance, before launching into a setlist that included popular songs like “comethru,” “all the kids are depressed” and “talk is overrated.”

X-Fest was open to both undergraduate and graduate students, and Ph.D student Sandro Serpone said that he was glad that he came.

“It’s been a great event so far, the music is good, the food has been good, the environment and the atmosphere,” Serpone said.

Nithya Ramcharan, a Lovett College junior, said she wasn’t familiar with Zucker’s music prior to the concert, but understands his appeal.

“I thought it was really incredible, it was a really nice atmosphere overall and I loved how the community was brought together,” Ramcharan said. “I think he was a really good choice, because I do know he is popular among a lot of Rice students, so I think he was popular enough for there to be a good ambiance. I think he appeals a lot to college students, being a relatively young person too.”

Towards the end of his set, Zucker paused from singing to talk about his own time in college. 

“Many years ago, I majored in molecular biology,” he said. “Where the science people at?” The crowd answered with a collective scream.