Monday, June 21, 2021 — Houston, TX 94°

Rice announces twelfth residential college, student body expansion approved

breaking-news

By Ivanka Perez     3/29/21 5:22pm

Rice announced today that it will open a twelfth residential college to account for the plan to expand the student body by 20 percent, which Rice's Board of Trustees has just approved. The undergraduate class is expected to grow to 4,800 by 2025 from its current enrollment of 4,052 students (Fall 2020), according to the press release

As a result of the new residential college, the number of students living on campus will increase to 3,525. To maintain the current student-faculty ratio of six to one, close to 50 additional full-time instructional faculty members are expected to be hired.

“The Board of Trustees strongly supports the expansion of the student body as a strategic imperative," Robert Ladd, chair of the Rice Board of Trustees, said. “Welcoming more students to the Rice campus today will have an impact on the university for generations to come.”

According to the press release, the number of student applicants has increased by 75 percent in the last four years, and was seemingly boosted by the announcement of the Rice Investment. Between 2004 and 2020, Rice went from receiving 11 applications per student opening to approximately 28. Rice received nearly 30,000 applications for the class of 2025, compared to the 23,443 applications for the class of 2024. 

"Rice's extraordinary applicant pool has grown dramatically despite the challenges posed by the pandemic,” President David Leebron said in the press release. "We must undertake this expansion carefully in order to assure that we retain the best aspects of Rice culture, student experience and sense of community.”

Although this decision's impacts on graduate student enrollment are currently unclear, Rice's total enrollment of undergraduate and graduate students is expected to increase to about 9,000 by fall 2025. In the fall of 2020, Rice's total enrollment was 7,536.

The 20 percent increase will be supported by additional campus construction, according to the press release, including previous plans for a larger student center, new engineering building and new visual and dramatic arts building, in addition to the new residential college. The press release confirmed plans to begin breaking ground on the new student center in the first quarter of 2022.

Rice previously expanded the size of the student body by 35 percent between the fall of 2005 and 2013, during which Duncan and McMurtry Colleges were built to account for the student body increase.

Rice announces student vaccine requirement for fall semester

All members of the Rice community are expected to return in person for the fall and all students who come to campus are expected to be fully vaccinated before the fall semester, President David Leebron announced in an email Friday. Students who receive a medical or religious waiver must continue to test weekly and wear a mask indoors, according to the email.

Leebron to step down in 2022, reflects on past years

President David Leebron announced that he will be stepping down from his role after this coming academic year on June 30, 2022 in an email to the Rice community Tuesday morning. Next year will mark Leebron’s 18th year as president after taking on the position in 2004. 

Bragga fired after three seasons

Rice fired baseball head coach Matt Bragga, the school announced on Monday. The move comes on the heels of a season in which the Owls placed tenth out of the 12 teams in Conference USA, failing to make the C-USA tournament for the first time ever. In his three seasons at the helm, the Owls have gone 51-76-1 (25-36-1). According to athletic director Joe Karlgaard, the lack of progress shown during Bragga’s tenure prompted the change.