Tuesday, April 13, 2021 — Houston, TX 80°

Support student artists as they support the Rice community

When the massive tents known as Provisional Campus Facilities were first constructed on the Rice campus, the South college courtyard suddenly looked a bit alien — a literal sign of the times. Those once foreboding white tents have since been transformed, however, into canvases for compelling visual art, and the once downtrodden courtyard surrounding them into a colorful playground, thanks to the Moody Center for the Arts’ “Creative Interventions” initiative. This project has combined creativity and innovation from students and professional artists alike to give us all an opportunity to celebrate everything that makes our Rice and Houston communities special as we collectively struggle with uncertainty. 

The Moody Center understands the role that art can play in this trying time — it can be cathartic, uniting and comforting as the pandemic rages on. Through Moody’s public arts initiative, Rice Public Art, campus has grown even more beautiful and engaging than before. Many individuals in the Rice community have provided opportunities for togetherness through art — an opportunity hardly anyone can take for granted these days.

Rice students who sing, dance, improvise, act and perform in any capacity have had a key component of their art — an audience — become a threat to public health. Yet, they have still been finding ways to practice their art and bring it to the community. Rice Theater director Christina Keefe knew her students’ season was not going to look remotely like normal, but by intentionally choosing a play in which social distance is part and parcel of its plot, Rice Theater produced “The Importance of Being Earnest” with safety firmly in mind, without deviating too much from the classic script. Members of the improvisational comedy group Spontaneous Combustion have produced a podcast on the fly to continue spreading laughter across campus, and Shepherd students have brought their concerts outdoors. Rather than recording or streaming their annual cultural showcase in its traditional format of live performances, the Rice Black Student Association filmed, edited and released its first Soul Night film highlighting Black experiences during the 2000s. Although it would have been easy to put performances on pause, students have worked hard to make their art accessible and safe.

Visual artists have also continued to create and have evolved their art to fit the needs of the moment. Student-run Sleepy Cyborg Gallery, for example, kicked off the year with “Quaranzine,” a dual delivery showcase of student-made zines aiming to comment on the current politicization of the U.S. Postal Service. Earlier this year, ASTR* Magazine pivoted from physical to virtual with their website, and is currently open to submissions for their upcoming issue inspired by the pandemic and ongoing protests. The Rice Women’s Resource Center has brought their zine, Engender, to a virtual format, ensuring that students’ thematic art and poetry submissions can still be enjoyed while the center remains closed. And a number of Rice students have turned their craft into a business. Take Jones College senior Fernanda Lago’s laser-cut earrings, Wiess College sophomore Mb Usua’s handmade jewelry, and our own art director and Sid Richardson College senior Tina Liu, who has been donating profits from her accessory store, tinastinys, to The Afiya Center and Restoring Justice.  

We also appreciate the faculty members who have taken time out of their busy days to thoughtfully and creatively address the demands and limitations imposed on students by the pandemic, both physical and emotional, when making space for student art. When Baker College Magister Luis Duno-Gottberg noticed students’ need for artistic expression as a way to process their emotions, he answered the call with PANDEMIA, an outdoor art exhibit that provides windows into students’ quarantine experiences through photography.   

With all of this art so accessible, the onus now falls upon students to engage with it. We often take for granted the buffet of work and media that is available to us. Not only are we lucky to be surrounded by creativity, but in the relatively isolated, bleak world of the pandemic, art provides a rare opportunity for connection and imagination. Throughout the pandemic, we have unconsciously found solace in art — through movies, music, media arts, online festival streaming and infinitely more. Yet, we underestimate the amount of work that goes into student art. Student artists have to navigate a complex set of relationships and space and material arrangements, most of the time with little to no payment. Student art, then, thrives on audiences — us. 

Disclaimer: Tina Liu is the Thresher’s art director and a member of the editorial board. Ella Feldman is an editor of ASTR* Magazine.

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Rishab Ramapriyan, Ivanka Perez, Amy Qin, Elizabeth Hergert, Ella Feldman, Katelyn Landry, Rynd Morgan, Savannah Kuchar, Ben Baker-Katz, Simona Matovic and Tina Liu. 

We still need to care about voter suppression in a post-Trump America

Just a couple of months ago, Gov. Greg Abbott declared “election integrity” to be an emergency item for the 2021 Texas legislative session. This was promptly followed by the National Republican Party launching a committee to pursue state election laws, praising Abbott’s initiative. With Senate Bill 7 (SB 7) and its House equivalent (HB 6), in addition to other bills directed at restricting voting access like House Bill 2293, marginalized groups will be further restricted from their right to vote. Shift workers who rely on later voting place hours will be without options. Individuals with disabilities who require vote-by-mail will be burdened with providing proof of their condition. Drive-thru voting will be banned. The role of poll watchers, already infamous for attracting self-appointed vigilantes of voter intimidation, will be able to record voters who receive help filling out their ballots. 

Willy Week no more: Students have the power to distance from William Marsh Rice

This year’s Beer Bike Week looks quite different from years past, even in name. Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman encouraged Beer Bike coordinators to rename Willy Week to reflect the different nature of the event due to COVID restrictions. Individual college Beer Bike coordinators chose a variety of new, college-specific names; many told the Thresher that they were further motivated to change the name to distance their college from William Marsh Rice and that they may carry the name change into future years. Coordinators’ swift renaming of Willy Week reminds us that students have a lot of power at this university — and that we can and should use it to foster a Rice community that we’re proud of.

Student Association committees deserve more from students

Rice students don’t pay attention to the Student Association. This is clear from recent Thresher coverage on the low voter turnout during the SA election and students’ inability to identify the people they “elected” to the executive team. If it weren’t for current SA President Kendall Vining’s encouragement to apply for Academics Committee chair last year, I would have fallen into that category too. I learned that although the SA is designed to represent and empower all student voices regardless of whether they hold a formal SA position in order to better our campus and broader Houston community, it struggles with apathy (or worse, alienation) and a lack of participation.