Wednesday, May 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Student Judicial Programs revises Code of Conduct

ac283e2e2e42ec1c9c1a984fbe8375fa
Code of Conduct changes

By Sapna Suresh     1/21/15 6:14pm

Student Judicial Programs released an updated student Code of Conduct that went into effect beginning Jan. 12. According to their website, they aim “to articulate and enforce standards of conduct behavior among all students.” The new code includes several key updates that provide details on many aspects of student behavior.

SJP made several minor technical updates to the code, including adding information that had previously only been updated in the Alcohol Policy. Details on the situations in which students are eligible for medical amnesty reflect explicitly state students are required to call REMS or RUPD when faced with a drug or alcohol-related emergency.

Additionally, the updated code of conduct contains more information on the procedures students undergo once they have been charged with wrongdoing as well as the appeals process.

“These adjustments improve the Code’s structure, make it clearer and remove anachronisms,” University Court Chair Brian Baran said.

A major addition is the detailing of three versions of rustication. Baran, a Duncan College senior, said the updated Code delineates between three levels of rustication — social, college and campus — to create a consistent framework for applying these sanctions while allowing for flexibility to fit specific circumstances.

Social is the least severe form of rustication. Students facing social rustication may not attend public events or private gatherings, including RPC events and college events, but may attend University-wide athletic events. College rustication includes the parameters of social rustication plus an effective banishment from all college facilities. Campus rustication involves removal from all aspects of the university except for academic ones.

SJP also made several updates to clarify Title IX policies that were introduced in fall 2014, especially those concerning sexual discrimination and assault. Although this information had previously been presented in the Sexual Harassment Policy, it has now been incorporated into the Code of Conduct. Several prominent campuses across the nation including Harvard University, Princeton University, Dartmouth College and the University of Chicago are currently under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education for sexual assault violations. The federal government also released a new task force report for addressing sexual assault, a factor which may have spurred greater emphasis on Title IX policies in Rice’s own Code of Conduct.

In particular, the document states “while all [sexual misconduct] behaviors are abhorrent and damaging, Rice views sexual assault as particularly so and will sanction that behavior most severely.” A Title IX investigation may now be considered as grounds for expulsion, suspension, or proscription. The updated definition of sexual assault misconduct now includes sexual harassment and other gender-based misconduct in addition to relationship violence and stalking.

Duncan College freshman Monica Bodd said she appreciated the greater detail included in this section.

“It is great to see these amendments being made on the Title IX policies, and with these changes I can be confident in a safe campus during my time here at Rice,” Bodd said. “It’s imperative to include these policies in the Code of Conduct because sexual assault and women’s equality are such critical issues that need to be addressed and exposed to the student body.”

Students are not required to electronically sign the new Code, as they have agreed to it by virtue of registration. Discussion within colleges also helped disseminate information to the students.