Thursday, April 25, 2019 — Houston, TX 81°

Volleyball wins conference title, earns NCAA Tournament berth

volleyball

By Andrew Grottkau     11/18/18 12:50pm

Rice volleyball clinched the Conference USA Tournament championship for the first time since 2009 with a 3-0 sweep of Florida International University on Sunday. The win clinches the Owls a berth in next month’s NCAA Tournament. 

Rice raced out to a 2-0 lead with close but comfortable victories in the first two sets, by scores of 25-21 and 25-22, respectively. In the third set, however, Rice trailed 24-22, and FIU had set point before the Owls off four straight points to win the set and the match. With Rice trailing by the 24-22 margin, sophomore Kassidy Muse recorded a kill, then junior Grace Morgan and sophomore Nicole Lennon combined on a block to tie the set. FIU then called timeout, but with Rice still serving, Morgan recorded a kill to give the Owls championship point. On the final point, Muse and Morgan combined on a block to clinch the victory.

Players on the Owls bench stormed the court the moment the ball hit the floor, and coaches embraced on the sideline in celebration of the team’s first conference tournament title in nearly a decade. 

The win clinched an NCAA Tournament berth for the Owls, who will appear in the 64-team bracket for the fourth time since 2004 and first time since 2009. Head coach Genny Volpe has been at the helm for each of those appearances after taking over the position in 2004. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Dean Whiting to leave school of architecture after nine years

The current dean of architecture, Sarah Whiting, will leave Rice this summer to become the first female dean of Harvard Graduate School of Design. Whiting has been dean since 2010 and oversaw many pivotal changes in the school of architecture, such as the implementation of the “Totalization” program, an immersive studio experience for sixth-year architecture students.

Millora-Brown to transfer; Kreider to leave for new job

Rice men’s basketball will experience a shakeup in both its player roster and staff next year. According to multiple anonymous sources, freshman center Quentin Millora-Brown has entered the NCAA transfer portal with intent to transfer and assistant coach Chris Kreider has left his position to join Georgia State University as an assistant coach.