Wednesday, June 19, 2019 — Houston, TX 81°

Fence goes up around Baker quad in preparation for construction

baker-quad-alp-yakici-col
Photo credit: Alp Yakici

By Anna Ta     9/26/18 1:37am

The quad between Baker College magister’s house and Will Rice College Old Dorm has been fenced off, likely to the chagrin of students accustomed to the well-worn diagonal shortcut, according to an email sent by Eliza Martin, Baker president.

According to Martin, a senior, construction will eventually begin in that area to construct the new Will Rice magister’s house. The current house, which is in between Will Rice New Dorm and Sid Richardson college, will eventually need to be demolished, as the new Sid Richardson building will utilize that space.

Although the timeline of construction for the new Will Rice magister house is uncertain, Sid Richardson students are projected to move into the new building in the fall of 2021. The current one will be converted into graduate student housing for five to seven years, according to Sid Richardson magister Ken Whitmire.

Facilities, Engineering and Planning could not be reached at the time of publication.