Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

These coffee spots are grounds for a caffeine run

michelle-gachelin-for-the-thresher-coffee
Photo courtesy Michelle Gachelin

By Michelle Gachelin     9/6/22 11:08pm

The Thresher likes coffee, and we’ve written about our favorite Houston spots before. That said, there are still a latte of great finds beyond the hedges. To avoid the risk of giving you déjà brew, here are some new coffee shop finds you might not have heard of yet.

Cavo Coffee

Located on the edge of Rice Village near the corner of Bissonet and Kirby, this modern spot is decorated with leather couches and plenty of cowhide — spot the massive longhorn skull on the far wall. Although they may not be very bovine-friendly, their beans are all sourced from their own roasting company Cleo Roasting Co., apparently named after the team’s French bulldog (also featured on a couple canvases on the wall, right next to the longhorn). We highly recommend their iced Autumn Spice latte, made with local Blue Heron Farm’s bourbon-flavored cajeta — a sweet, caramel-like sauce — and house-made allspice syrup.

The Coffee House at West End

This cozy three-story building was originally built in 1930 by West End Baptist Church, serving as a church and then a food pantry. It reopened in late 2021 as a coffee shop, and even runs its own mini library. Just borrow a book of your choice from the second floor bookshelves, and bring it back when you’re done. Located in the Heights, this spot is a little further away from campus, but still accessible by car or METRO bus (take bus 65 from campus to Rice Village, and then bus 27). Try their new Pumpkin Spice latte or classic West End Latte, made with their signature house syrup. Drink it on the rooftop patio when the weather’s nice.

Day 6 Coffee Co. 

This Black-owned spot in downtown’s Historic Market Square District is decorated with local artwork that’s also for sale, and is sure to be playing some easy listening hits at any point in the day. Try their rotating selection of cheesecakes or the shop’s signature Texas latte, made with caramel and vanilla bean. To avoid the hassle of finding parking downtown, take the METRO’s Red Line from campus.

BlendIn Coffee Club

Founded by Weihong Zhang, an ex-academic with a PhD in Biochemistry, this spacious and stylish study spot roasts all their coffee beans in store, calling it a “tree-to-cup coffee experience.” Sit, chat or study on the eclectic collection of chairs in the office space right outside their doors, but remember to bring a sweatshirt if you do. Hop on bus 56 from the south side of campus and take a stroll through the nearby Buffalo Bayou Park on your way back.

La La Land Kind Cafe

Brightened with yellow decor and the sunny demeanor of their baristas, this coffee chain aims to spread kindness. Even better, they founded We Are One Project in 2017, an eight-week career-readiness internship program hosted for foster youth. Try the iced La La Latte, a honey-based espresso drink topped with ‘la la froth,’ which is reminiscent of Starbucks cold foam. Or taste their Perfect Latte, a concoction of espresso, organic bell milk — nonfat with a splash of heavy cream — and their own secret sauce (don’t tell, but it’s maple and vanilla). While a slightly longer drive from campus, the shop is nestled in the Heights’ M-K-T shopping mall for those interested in window shopping or a little retail therapy.

Black Art at Rice: Akaya Chambers designs her future in theatre

When Akaya Chambers was twelve years old, she made her own Halloween costume — a steampunk TARDIS dress. It was the first time she had ever sewn, but she hasn’t put down her needle and thread since. In the years following, she discovered a passion for costume design and theatre on and off of the stage as a costume designer and actor, and on the page as a playwright. 

Review: ‘Five Easy Hot Dogs’ is a mellow road trip of soothing instrumentals

It’s impossible to understate Mac DeMarco’s influence in the world of indie music. Since his breakout 2012 album ‘2,’ DeMarco’s twangy jangle pop songs have inspired new musicians and subgenres, notably bedroom pop. Tracks like “Chamber of Reflection” helped define alternative music in the mid-2010s, and recently, cuts like “Heart to Heart” have been wildly popular on TikTok. At the core of these successes were not only strong instrumentation but a slacker attitude and a sense of understated romance within DeMarco’s lyrics. However, for “Five Easy Hot Dogs,” DeMarco has ditched this core component in favor of focusing on instrumentals. Regardless of this switch-up, DeMarco has constructed a solid project full of unique albeit forgettable songs that inspire a sense of tranquility unmatched by his other work.