No car? Catch a bus to these cafes

coffee-shop-credit-michelle-gachelin
Michelle Gachelin / Thresher

By Michelle Gachelin     3/22/22 11:25pm

We’re in the home stretch of the spring semester, with the promise of summer vacation just out of reach. Amid troublesome problem sets and unwritten papers, the Thresher is here to make sure you have one less thing to figure out — where to find coffee close to campus. No car? No problem. There are still many great cafe options for those who enjoy a non squirrel-ridden study environment from time to time, but are running low on goodwill from friends with cars (or on the patience required to drive in Houston). 

Cafe Leonelli

Located in the Museum of Fine Arts’ Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, this modern space offers a wide variety of coffee, tea, food and pastry options and even their own homemade ice cream. The seats lining the far walls are equipped with outlets, and the floor-to-ceiling windows are perfect for people-watching. While you’re inside the Kinder Building, sign up for a sketching class in the galleries — sketchbook and drawing pencils provided — or check out current exhibitions. If the weather is nice, you can work on assignments from the outside seating and still connect to their Wi-Fi, or walk up to the PNC Roof Garden for a stunning view of Houston. Cafe Leonelli is just a short walk from campus, or hop on bus 56 with your free Student METRO QCard for an even faster commute. 

Siphon Coffee

A popular Houston coffee shop and a personal favorite, Siphon offers something for everyone. This month’s seasonal drink rollout features new flavors from Piña Colatte to Chocolate Covered Strawberry Syrup. Fans of Audrey’s Texas Honey and Cinnamon Latte will love their Honey Bee Latte, which tastes the same but comes in a larger size (sorry, Audrey’s). Siphon provides outlets everywhere except by the standalone tables, and guests can use free Wi-Fi that doesn’t expire after an hour. They also have a beautiful outside patio area with booth-style mosaic tables and a speaker system, so you’ll hear when the barista announces your drink. Siphon is about a 10-minute bus ride away on line 56.

Campesino Coffee House

This cafe’s stylish setup makes you feel like you’ve stepped into your cool aunt’s living room, albeit with a bunch of strangers. Nestle into a comfy armchair and choose from their array of coffee and Latin American specialty drinks (their horchata iced latte is amazing), or enjoy their empanadas or sandwiches. Campesino’s is about a 20-minute bus ride away on (you guessed it) line 56.

Agnes Cafe & Provisions

This charming spot is more popular for their Mediterranean-inspired food than their coffee (try their grilled cheese), but is still a great option to unwind off campus. They also have a bakery and boutique grocery for nicer meals. For the most efficient route, walk to the north side of campus and hop on bus 65 for seven minutes.