Thursday, October 06, 2022 — Houston, TX

Breaks aren’t breaks if there’s a test the next day

Here at the Thresher, we, like most students on campus, like to complain about academic accommodations. Still, we feel the need to bring it back up because some issues persist. Issues that, if we’re being honest, seem easily addressable, especially in this time of constantly-shifting campus norms. We’re talking about professors scheduling exams the week after, and sometimes in the days immediately following, spring break.

We have not collected data to support our point, and we don’t find it appropriate to call out specific professors, but there are many members of our staff who either personally have, or have heard from friends who have, multiple exams this week. The same goes for papers and other substantial assignments. This flies in the face of what spring break is meant to be: a much-needed break where students can recharge and not have to think about school for a week.

The idea that a break from school should be an actual break from schoolwork is not a novel one. In fact, faculty should be well acquainted with it. Just before this past midterm recess, the provost and future president sent an email to faculty requesting that they “please provide students the opportunity to rest and enjoy the recess without having work due during or immediately after midterm recess. They truly need it.” 

Even more to the point, during the spring 2021 semester, COVID caused spring break to be replaced with what became affectionately known as sprinkle days: non-consecutive days off throughout the semester that in total represented a spring break. To ensure their similarity to an actual spring break, professors were prohibited from making assignments due or assigning exams on sprinkle days, and eventually administration prohibited doing so on the day immediately after a designated sprinkle day. These precautions were necessary because, in the words of the Academic Restart Committee, “it is intended that, to the extent possible, [sprinkle days] be real breaks for students and instructors.” You would think the same wouldn’t need to be said for an actual spring break. 

Professors, we understand that semester schedules are already packed, that exams have to be scheduled sometime and we’re willing to admit that in the eyes of a student there is no “good” time to have an exam. But there is definitely a bad time to schedule one, and immediately following spring break is right up there with the worst of them. 

To have assignments due during breaks, and papers and exams the days we return forces students to work during what is meant to be our break from school, which defeats their purpose. So we ask, please, be cognizant of our breaks and do your best to plan around them and respect their purpose.

​​Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Savannah Kuchar, Ben Baker-Katz, Nayeli Shad, Talha Arif, Morgan Gage, Daniel Schrager and Brandon Chen.

Letter to the Editor: Satire is not an excuse for discrimination

Two Wednesdays ago, instead of ending my weekly Thresher reading with a laugh, I was shocked to see a piece that included the Bible and prayer in order to mock a Christian professor on campus. Turning to other Christian students and Rice parents, I found similar shared disappointment and sadness. Myself and others sent emails to the Thresher explaining why we found this piece distasteful and discriminatory. We were answered only with an editorial published Sept. 27  saying, in essence: it’s satire, so take a joke. 

Letter to the Editor: The Career Expo is not a one-size-fits-all

The Center for Career Development thanks Wills Rutherford for his time as a Peer Career Advisor at Rice, providing students with career guidance, and we congratulate him on securing his job from the Rice Expo. Responding to his opinion piece, “The Rice career fair fails Rice students,” I’ll elaborate upon the factors employers consider when deciding whether to participate in Rice career expos, the overall recruiting environment and the process Rice students should pursue when seeking employment.