Saturday, November 27, 2021 — Houston, TX °

It is on each of us to be anti-racist and hold others accountable, not just student leaders

The use of racial slurs by college students toward their peers is a problem that permeates across college campuses all over the country. The Rice community is no exception. When students say or do racist things, specifically toward other students, there is usually outrage, and rightfully so. However, in most of these instances, the immediate response is to look to student leaders, namely diversity facilitators, for a reaction. While DFs are well-trained in productive mediation and conflict resolution, it cannot fall on just them and other student leaders to provide accountability. If we, as a community, are serious about being anti-racist, then it is on all of us to hold our peers accountable.

This is not to say that there is no place for student leaders to provide accountability when racial slurs are used on campus. Wiess College is currently attempting to amend their constitution to include a clause banning hate speech. But there is only so much that leadership, be it student or administration, can do to prevent hateful speech.

Rice University Policy 830 on Discrimination and Harassment defines hate speech as any act of harassment that incites “imminent criminal activity” or contains “specfic threats of violence” toward a person based on their membership to a protected class. Additionally, the policy specifically states that it does not cover speech that is “ordinarily” considered constitutionally protected in an educational or public setting. 

Rice’s hate speech policy can only go so far. If the administration cannot implement certain restrictions for legal reasons, it goes to students to hold one another accountable; but the onus cannot just be on DFs and other student leaders. Facilitators can host events to help educate students, but it takes students, including those not directly impacted, to actively engage with these opportunities.

Instead, as students, we have the responsibility to create a culture in which the use of racial slurs is considered unacceptable. There are simple steps students can take, such as calling out their peers if they ever hear racist speech being used, and encouraging others to do the same. But that alone won’t solve the problem. We need to be proactive in letting our peers know that hateful speech won’t be tolerated, and create an environment where this is understood by everyone. All of us need to do better in responding in the moment, not relying on DFs or student leaders to take action after-the-fact. 

We as individuals need to create a culture on campus where being racist in public spaces is met with swift consequences, not just from student leaders, but from peers. 

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Savannah Kuchar, Ben Baker-Katz, Ivanka Perez, Nayeli Shad, Talha Arif, Morgan Gage, and Daniel Schrager.

From the opinion editor’s desk: The opinion section is a space meant for the Rice community

As the semester nears its end, it’s time to reflect on the state of the opinion section this fall amidst a near return to normalcy, and to look forward to another semester of opinions. We’ve had a multitude of opinions and editorials published on a wide range of subjects. Still, some people coming to campus for the first time or who did not engage much with our paper while we were working online last year may not be all that familiar with the opinion section. I want to reintroduce the possibilities that the section offers for all of the Rice community.

It’s time to talk about Willy

Last week, the Board of Trustees announced that Reginald DesRoches, Rice’s current provost, will be the next president of Rice University. DesRoches will be the eighth president in the history of the university, and the first person of color and foreign-born person to hold the position. We applaud the Board’s selection of DesRoches, and wish him great success in his new role. But because there are seven months left before the beginning of his tenure, we would like to pen one of our final editorials to President David Leebron and the Board of Directors. It’s time to talk about everyone’s favorite subject — one that has found itself in our news section repeatedly — the statue of one William Marsh Rice.