V-Day dates: studying, snacking, shopping

date-spots-around-rice-ashley-zhang
Ashley Zhang / Thresher

By Amelia Davis     2/13/24 10:04pm

Whether your Screw date has miraculously lasted into the second semester or you have a self-sourced partner to keep your spirits up during the stress of midterms, you may be prepared to scroll through innumerable Yelp reviews to ferret out the perfect Valentine’s Day date spot. Have no fear — whether your dream date is classy, casual or just plain crazy, options abound from Rice Village to Montrose and everywhere in between.

Sweet Paris

Whether you share a sweet tooth with your partner or raise your eyebrows at their sugar intake, Sweet Paris is a walkable spot to enjoy something sugary or savory. With a cute, Instagrammable storefront and casual service, the price for a crepe ranges from $11 to $13. 

Bluestone Lane

You and your brunch-loving partner in crime may be thrilled to hear that a conveniently close restaurant serves brunch all day long. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a dinner out if you’re attracted to “Australian-inspired” flavor, eggs and a great ambiance to enjoy a conversational outing.

Bitty and Beau’s

For those who wish to balance their academic success and their romantic prospects, a low-key study date may be in order. Grab a cup of coffee and a snack and settle down for a few hours, whether you actually lock in for a long session of midterm studying or end up staring into each other’s eyes. 

Barcelona

To the lucky (and of-age) lovebirds with money to spend or an anniversary to celebrate, Barcelona Wine Bar is an upscale site for romance. Whether your true love is your date or charcuterie and “girl-dinner” tapas, this will be a more than worthwhile date night. Additionally, if you really want to make an evening out of it, Barcelona is located only a few blocks from the Menil Collection. A museum date plus a nice night out would definitely be one for the books. 

Roma

For a more classy traditional dinner, nothing could be more convenient than Roma for all your pasta-loving date night needs. The small interior is intimate and the outdoor seating is also ideal for a warm Houston evening. Plus, it’s a 15-minute walk from campus, and offers high-quality entrees under $30 with the option of pasta half plates for $14.  

Thrifting

Those who enjoy hands-on activities and wardrobe curation may be more attracted to a shopping date. This more casual option doesn’t preclude having a nice dinner — there are thrift stores in Rice Village within a block of the list-toppers of all Rice students: Torchy’s, Dave’s Hot Chicken and the date-night regular Prego, not to mention other stores if you desire a window-shopping stroll. Fallen Angel on Rice Boulevard is a close-by gem, but there are plenty of stores in Montrose for those eager to get further off campus, such as Pavement, Buffalo Exchange, Leopard Lounge and Thrifted Threads. As the seasons change and the summer internship season approaches, this date may be practical as well as pleasurable. 

Picnic 

For a more relaxed date that prioritizes quality time over a formal outing, sometimes grabbing a sandwich from Local Foods or HEB and going for a picnic in Hermann Park (especially the Japanese Gardens!) may be the simplest and most enjoyable option. If your weeknight forecast is cloudy with a side of deadlines, grab a quick bite outside.