Monday, February 06, 2023 — Houston, TX

Hugo Gerbich-Pais

Review: ‘Midnights’ not worth staying up for

It is obvious that Taylor Swift needed to have gone to bed earlier and reviewed her work before releasing Midnights. Failing to live to up to the sophisticated and heart-wrenching story telling that brought her critical acclaim, Taylor Swift’s “Midnights (3am Edition)” sees her return to her “You Need to Calm Down,” “Look What You Made Me Do” and “Blank Space” eras, but at least those songs were danceable. While not terrible, the album falls flat, despite several songs showcasing Swift’s songwriting and vocal talent.

Houston Jazz Collective’s rise from Valhalla to 713 Music Hall

Initially inspired by punk rock, the Houston Jazz Collective originated in the ‘70s from small concerts held at Valhalla and broadcast live on KTRU radio. The collective’s founders Joseph Peine and Tim Ruiz began playing shows at Rice with their friends from the Houston School for The Performing and Visual Arts. Many of their bandmates had strong connections with Rice.

Moody’s new exhibit deconstructs the built environment

Inspired by our built environment and the diverse way that cities are portrayed in art, the Moody Center for the Arts fall exhibition “Urban Impressions: Experiencing the Global Contemporary Metropolis” challenges its audience to reflect on how they move through cities. The opening reception for the exhibition will take place on Friday, Sept. 16 with a student reception on Saturday, Sept. 17. The exhibit will run until Saturday, Dec. 17.

‘ones & zeros’ powers digital and interpersonal connection

Created from plywood, corrugated plastic, Arduino circuits and LED strips, “ones & zeros” was created by senior architecture students Peyton Chiang, Joseph Hsu, Olivia Malone and Jeff Xia for Archi-Arts. The large-scale, interactive exhibition goes on display Wednesday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. in the Sewall Courtyard as Sleepy Cyborg’s first fall exhibition, slated to run until Oct. 9.

‘Tied in Nots’ showcases VADA student art

The Mavis C. Pitman Exhibition Fellowship is annually awarded to three to four Visual and Dramatic Arts students with concentrations in visual arts studio or film. The cash grant of 1,500 dollars enables these artists to create an original body of work for display at the Moody Center for the Arts. 

Live tattoo show is ‘Self Care’ for artist, audience

Adriana Amaris, a Sid Richardson College senior, gave a closing night performance for their solo-exhibition “Self Care” at Sleepy Cyborg Gallery on Feb. 18. The show consisted of two parts: a collection of eight mixed-media art pieces inspired by tattoos and the tattooing process, followed by a live tattoo show held on the last day of the exhibition, where Amaris tattooed two of her friends with artwork featured in the show.

Review: “You Don’t Know Us Negroes and Other Essays”

In “You Don’t Know Us Negroes and Other Essays,” Zora Neale Hurston powerfully establishes the immense contributions of Black culture and defends its worth. The collection, with an introduction by Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Genevieve West, was released on Jan. 18, nearly 60 years after her death. It features essays that have never been published before, as well as several essays that are being reprinted for the first time. 

Review: Hanya Yanagihara’s 'To Paradise' — It took me there

The first man will never have to work in his life, in fact he is so wealthy he can leave everything to chase love. The second man is a broke paralegal who fled from his homeland and is now dating his wealthy boss. The third is a successful virologist, whose very success has trapped him instead of freeing him.

Jasmine Hearn brings their experiences to the Moody Center through dance

Jasmine Hearn, an artist who incorporates dance, sound and costume into their performances, will be performing at the Moody Center for the Arts on Nov. 5 with three improvisational solo performances at 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. with free admission. Hearn was commissioned as part of Moody Center’s Dimensions Variable series, which brings performance art to Moody in conversation with its current exhibitions. They will be performing dance, featuring sound and song, in conversation with Kapwani Kiwanga’s current exhibition at the Moody Center and is a part of their “Nile: A Wondering River” series. Due to its improvisational nature, they do not exactly what their performance will look like.