The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.

First, we feel it is important to question the reasoning the Rice Management Company, which owns much of the land in Rice Village, used to defend their decision. They claimed a critical need for more parking spaces from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in a parking lot for businesses selling sunglasses and upscale furniture, all of which close at least an hour before YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi open their doors.

Though the Rice Management Company’s decision was clearly business driven, they should consider and support the best interests of the Rice community. In fact, removing a walkable, relatively cheap food option runs counter to the RMC’s stated mission of providing support for students “regardless of ability to pay.”

Students want more safe and accessible late-night food options, and the Rice Management Company needs some creative thinking to continue furthering its mission of enhancing the university community. YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi have moved around Rice Village in the past, and maybe the RMC can find another nearby parking lot in their vast land holdings. Perhaps we can invite YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi to campus with a spot in the Greenbriar parking lot or across the street in the Greenbriar Annex lot.

Though the next steps may not be clear, the outpouring of support for keeping these two businesses operating within walking distance of campus cannot be ignored. It is worth exploring every possible solution to keep this vital part of our community strong.