Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.

First, we feel it is important to question the reasoning the Rice Management Company, which owns much of the land in Rice Village, used to defend their decision. They claimed a critical need for more parking spaces from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in a parking lot for businesses selling sunglasses and upscale furniture, all of which close at least an hour before YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi open their doors.

Though the Rice Management Company’s decision was clearly business driven, they should consider and support the best interests of the Rice community. In fact, removing a walkable, relatively cheap food option runs counter to the RMC’s stated mission of providing support for students “regardless of ability to pay.”

Students want more safe and accessible late-night food options, and the Rice Management Company needs some creative thinking to continue furthering its mission of enhancing the university community. YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi have moved around Rice Village in the past, and maybe the RMC can find another nearby parking lot in their vast land holdings. Perhaps we can invite YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi to campus with a spot in the Greenbriar parking lot or across the street in the Greenbriar Annex lot.

Though the next steps may not be clear, the outpouring of support for keeping these two businesses operating within walking distance of campus cannot be ignored. It is worth exploring every possible solution to keep this vital part of our community strong.

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

Too many people are comfortable with their fatphobia

On Dec. 21, the following message was posted on Fizz:  “Fat people are disgusting and I’m tired of people like you sugar coating it saying it’s ok. If you don’t want to be disgusting eat healthier and go to the gym. Yes of course some people will have it harder than others but that’s life, that doesn’t mean you get to hide under your ‘genetics’ and pretend you don’t look disgusting when you’re clearly obese and unhealthy.”