Food spots to fill your late night cravings

latenightfood2-alice-sun
Alice Sun / Thresher

By Hamza Saeed     1/24/23 10:18pm

Have you or someone you love suffered from the recent closing of YoYo’s and Oh My Gogi? If so, you might be looking for new food spots to scratch those late-night cravings that the serveries simply can’t fill. Read on for the Thresher’s list of a few food spots close to campus that can fill the holes in our stomachs (and our hearts). 

M&M Grill

Located about 11 minutes from campus by car, M&M Grill is an Arabian-Mexican fusion restaurant that serves a wide variety of authentic Tex-Mex and Mediterranean dishes at very reasonable prices. They say everything is bigger in Texas, and M&M seems to have taken that message to heart when it comes to their portion sizes. I would most certainly recommend M&M Grill to anyone looking for anything from a burrito and chimichangas to a shawarma kabob plate, considering their explosive flavor, low costs and decent service. It isn’t a fancy or luxurious establishment, but it is solid food at a very reasonable price.

The Gypsy Poet

Looking to upgrade your upcoming movie night? Look no further than The Gypsy Poet, an artisan pizza parlor that seeks to elevate traditional takeout from a simple meal to an experience. The Gypsy Poet offers pizzas for an affordable price without compromising flavor. The menu options themselves are similar to most thin-crust, wood-fired pizza places, but their Nutella confezione dessert does slap, as the youths say. However, the restaurant gets quite busy, but takeout is available for those who prefer quieter environments.

Howdy Hot Chicken

We’re in Texas, so of course we have a chicken restaurant with the word “howdy” in it. Howdy Hot Chicken earns its moniker as a great place to feast on some junk food. The shop allows customers to choose the spice level that they want, and those spice levels are not to be taken lightly! My favorite item on the menu is definitely the Texas Toast Sammie at the Howlin’ spice level. Again, the food itself isn’t revolutionary in terms of ingredients used or overall flavor, but the combination of spice, deep fried chicken and the “Howdy Sauce” makes for a great late night feast that you don’t have to get out of your pajamas for.

Gyro Hut

Many of us have visited a “Halal Guys” style restaurant at least once during our time in Houston. If you are looking for an upgraded version with similar cuisine and halal options, I would encourage you to stop by Gyro Hut at least once. They offer a wide variety of proteins over rice, shawarma, sandwiches and platters that are guaranteed to fill you up at a decent price. Houston has a lot of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern fast food restaurants, but Gyro Hut is one of the better versions of such places. The cleanliness and numerous options for vegetarians and pescatarians as well as generous portions really stand out. At the end of the day, the food is fairly similar to Halal Guys, which is closer to campus, but Gyro Hut offers a refreshing change of pace.

Seniors showcase their artistic journey in ‘Opia’

“Opia,” the title of this year’s visual and dramatic arts senior showcase, is defined by the artists as “the intense vulnerability of looking someone in the eye, and the beautiful discomfort of seeing yourself reflected in their gaze.” These concepts of introspection and interpersonal connection resonate powerfully across the diverse bodies of work produced by a class of 17 artists, who will open up their showcase to the Rice community on Thursday April 18.