Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Rice signs collaboration agreement with university in India

iitk
Photo courtesy Rice University

By Viola Hsia     11/29/22 11:03pm

Rice signed an agreement with the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur  on Nov. 14, marking a collaboration between the institutions for research, teaching and training. 

Luay Nakhleh, dean of George R. Brown School of Engineering, said that this collaboration is the first move for the School of Engineering that will potentially establish Rice more prominently on the international stage. 

“For the school of engineering, it’s very important for us that we expand our international footprint,” Nakhleh said. “We have regions of interest, one of them is India.”

According to Nakleh, this collaboration began before COVID, back when President Reginald DesRoches was still the dean of the school of engineering. However, due to the pandemic, this collaboration was put on hold until now.

“We’re going [to India] to revive that program, to restart it, to start planning on concrete steps [other than signing agreements],” Nakhleh said.

The agreement, signed in early January 2020, is said to focus specifically on issues such as climate change and energy and materials science, according to Pulickel Ajayan, a professor from the department of materials science and nanoengineering.

“These problems need significant innovations in science and technology, and many universities around the world are engaged in addressing these major issues,” Ajayan said. “Our partnering with globally recognized institutions in different parts of the world gives us new opportunities, new understanding of various socio-economic factors that drive these issues and a universal view of the problems we are trying to solve.”

Provost Amy Dittmar said she is excited for the opportunities this partnership will open up for students.

“This is an exciting development for our faculty and students, and it advances our strategic priorities in the areas of global research, engagement and exchange,” Dittmar said. “This new agreement will provide valuable opportunities to collaborate with our colleagues and partners at IITK on research that explores and finds solutions to the pressing challenges of our time.”

In the spring, President DesRoches is planning to lead a delegation to Kanpur and institutions in Bangalore, Calcutta and Hyderabad.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.