Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Grammy-nominated GAYLE talks Texas and Tinder bans

gayle-press-5-credit-acacia-evans

By Morgan Gage     11/20/22 12:07pm

“I’m an artist and an attention whore,” GAYLE told audiences while performing at Austin City Limits Musical Festival last month. With that statement in mind, she chose the perfect career. Best known for her viral hit “abcdefu,” GAYLE enraptured audiences even in the Texas heat and played both guitar and keyboard while dancing around the stage with a youthful wit and sense of style that would make even the best TikTok girl seethe with jealousy. 

If I had forgotten that GAYLE, who was recently nominated for a Grammy Award for song of the year, was only barely 18 when we spoke during ACL, I would have quickly remembered when I went to open voice memos on my phone.

“Is that Tinder?” she asked. I quickly nodded. “I’m banned from Tinder,” GAYLE told me.

The 18-year-old artist explained that she made an account when she was 17 before her profile was quickly deleted – her bio proclaimed her actual age, after all. 

“I’ve tried to use different numbers, different email addresses,” GAYLE said. “Like, I cannot get back onto Tinder.”

ACL was a return to Texas for GAYLE, who is originally from Plano. Besides her excitement at returning to her home state and the chance to play at a festival that she called “iconic,” returning to Texas was a chance to come back to the place that inspired her singing career.

“One thing I really love about Texas is that it gave me a really big inspiration from powerhouse singers. I feel like there's so many talented musicians and powerhouse singers in Texas that I always found very inspiring,” GAYLE said. “When I went to Nashville, I really fell in love with the art of performance and just playing instruments and everything – that came in Texas.”

As much as GAYLE loves Texas, Texas seemed to love her, too – the crowds at ACL were quick to learn the lyrics to songs that had just been released the day before on her most recent EP, “a study of the human experience volume two.”

“I'm just so excited by the fact that [the EP’s] out,” GAYLE said. “And now I get to just talk about the songs more and I get to spam people on TikTok and everything.”

After skyrocketing to fame when her song “abcdefu” went viral on TikTok, GAYLE said that she found the year to be overwhelming at points as she adjusted to her newfound fame.

“But I think recently I've been coming to the conclusion of just how lucky I am,” GAYLE said. “I've always wanted to see the world, and the fact that I get to see the world and do live music at the same time. Especially now, post-pandemic, we finally get to, like, see people's faces instead of just numbers and analytics, and that's been very exciting. Just to get to do live music is such an honor, so I'm just so excited and grateful.”

GAYLE said that she has a deeply personal relationship with her music — one that shifts between love and hate over time.

“I have moments with my music, you know, there's times where I really love it, and there's times where I absolutely hate it. And there's times where I think it's stupid,” GAYLE said. “There's times where all of it just comes from a personal place or from a place of me just letting loose or being so excited and wanting to [make music] for the rest of my life.” 

More than anything, though, GAYLE said that she hopes audiences recognize her passion for writing, creating and performing music.

“I hope that people can just see that I'm just a person that loves music and wants to make music,” GAYLE said. “So if you like it, that’s great. That makes me happy, and we can like it together. If you don't, you don't, you know? But I hope that they can see that I'm a kid that likes music and likes writing music.”

Review: MAX elevates House of Blues energy through the roof

Pop powerhouse MAX’s performance at Houston’s House of Blues on Nov. 10 was nothing short of electric. Although I was a relative newcomer to MAX’s music, I already knew and liked his songs “Still New York” and “Love Me Less (feat. Quinn XCII),” the latter of which was included on the setlist.  

Review: ‘The Nutcracker’ loses its footing this season

Upon entering the Wortham Center for the annual holiday show, there is an unmistakable anticipatory energy in the air, accompanying their signature Christmas tree and bubbly mingling between well-dressed patrons. “The Nutcracker” is undeniably a holiday favorite for audience members, but their excitement for the show may be misguided. Despite the show’s remarkable popularity, the Houston Ballet’s production falls short of the original’s charm.

Review: ‘Glass Onion’ sharpens and heightens the original’s subversive whodunnit formula

The original “Knives Out” is one of the few mid-budget movies in recent years to become a household name, and for good reason. It’s an engaging whodunnit with a cast of intriguing characters, smart subversions of the mystery formula, and sharp political commentary. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” does all of this again, opting to use the success of the original to go big. The quaint house from the first film has been exchanged for an island, the mystery on display is much more audacious and striking and writer/director Rian Johnson’s commentary on wealth’s role in our society has been amplified and brought to center stage. However, the decision to heighten and expand the scope of the film in no way lessened my experience — “Glass Onion” is consistently hilarious and captivating, trading out some of the quaint mannerisms of the first film in favor of more bombastic moments.