‘Pride and Prejudice’ adapted for today

pride-and-prejudice-courtesy-paige-wilson
Photo courtesy Paige Wilson

By Madison Barendse     10/25/22 9:50pm

Last weekend, Rice Theatre performed Kate Hamill’s unique adaptation of the Jane Austen classic, “Pride and Prejudice.” While the show stays true to the main themes and plot of the novel, it revives the source material through a modern comedic lens. Each member of the small cast gets a chance to shine, often playing multiple characters with hilarious results. Additional performances will be featured Oct. 27 to 29 at 8 p.m. in Hamman Hall.

Chiro Ogbo, who plays Mr. Darcy, said he was thrilled to participate in “Pride and Prejudice” because it allowed him to develop his skills as an actor and storyteller.

“This is the first live production that I’ve been in, so it’s exciting to do that for the first time,” Ogbo, a Brown College junior, said. “I wanted to be in a production — I wanted to challenge myself this semester, [and this was] an interesting opportunity for me to create a familiar story in an unconventional way.”

Ogbo said this performance is different from many other Jane Austen adaptations in the way that it showcases the skills of the cast and crew.

“[The script is unique in] the comedic way in which it’s written and the way the casting choices are made,” Ogbo said. “There’s a lot of doubling, and it really shows the versatility of the cast members and the amazing talent in the way they play multiple characters.”

Taylor Stowers, who plays Elizabeth Bennet, said she enjoyed Hamill’s script because it makes “Pride and Prejudice” more accessible and enjoyable to the audience.

“I think choosing a ‘Pride and Prejudice’ script that has more modern sensibilities has allowed it to relate to the audience a little bit more,” Stowers, a Duncan College sophomore, said. “While some other plays may have had more serious messages, this is a fun critique on feminism and societal convention.”

Cleo Thompson, the assistant stage manager, said that while preparing for the performance could be stressful, the bonds between the cast and crew made it a much better experience.

“It’s not necessarily a calming time for us,” Thompson, a Martel College senior, said. “But just being able to have that camaraderie with the cast and crew and knowing that we’re going through this together makes it a lot more manageable and enjoyable.”

Thompson said they also enjoyed the show’s willingness to discuss gender and feminism in an unabashed way.

“There are thoughts on gender roles and gender presentation as we have multiple people double-cast, oftentimes crossing their gender line and presentation,” Thompson said. “[There are also] thoughts on how feminism takes place within a society that didn’t really make any room for it — and I mean that both in Jane Austen’s world and our world as well. It’s always really nice to see shows that breach that subject unhesitantly.”

Though this play is an adaptation of classic literature, Thompson said its style will likely subvert some audience members’ expectations.

“It is a period piece, but [the play] is written in a way that we speak today,” Thompson said. “So if people are expecting a very prim and proper [adaptation], I think they’re going to come away pleasantly surprised.”

Skye Bronfenbrenner, the co-director, choreographer and intimacy director for the show, said she found this play particularly interesting in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and social distancing.

“This is Jane Austen,” Bronfenbrenner said. “It’s a lot of intimacy that happens from several feet away, so it was really cool to play with that knowing that that has been a part of our lives now.”

Christina Keefe, director of the Rice Theatre program and co-director of the show, said she was drawn to the play because it subverts people’s expectations while creating a comedic adaptation of the novel.

“‘Pride and Prejudice’ is such a universally known title, and I think some people might come in thinking it’s very much a straight-up Austenian take on the play,” Keefe said. “I love the fact that this is both irreverent and serious at the same time.”