Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

If you are struggling, please reach out for help

Content warning: This piece contains references to suicide.

This week, Izzie Karohl, a Rice alumna, wrote an opinion piece highlighting the need to talk about mental health and suicidality in our community. We at the Thresher want to add to her piece and encourage students who are struggling with their mental health or suicidal ideation to reach out for help, whether from on- or off-campus resources.

Reaching out for help can be terrifying, and those fears are often rooted in personal negative experiences with resources in the past or stories heard from peers – we don’t mean to minimize that with this editorial.

Especially with students dealing with suicidal ideation, the fear of being involuntarily hospitalized is a real consideration. It’s a mental health complication that can be difficult to approach due to concern for a student who might harm themselves. We know that many students are hesitant to reach out, especially to campus resources, because of this fear and peers’ stories of being pushed into taking a leave of absence from Rice or even a concern that on-campus resources won’t be helpful for them.

But no single experience is representative of all that a resource can provide, and the Counseling and Wellbeing Center is worth seeking help from. They’re accessible, they’re free and they’re right here on campus. This can be a benefit when compared to off-campus resources that may have lengthy wait times, require traveling off campus and can be costly, especially for low-income students.

For students who prefer off-campus support, the Counseling Center’s care coordinator helps students navigate their insurance benefits — some cover as much as 75% — and has a list of off-campus providers who have worked with Rice students in the past. Some providers offer sliding scale pricing options for therapy, such as at the Montrose Center.

Ultimately, any resource is better than none. A flawed resource is preferable to not reaching out for help, not being directed to help or considering a decision that you can’t take back. Karohl asked us all to talk about suicide, and she’s right. We need to. We also need to acknowledge the reality of what being suicidal means, and we need to emphasize the importance of encouraging students dealing with suicidal ideation and others struggling with their mental health to reach out to someone – anyone – for help. 

Is using Fizz worth sacrificing our Culture of Care?

The social media app Fizz made its way to our campus earlier this semester, offering an anonymous discussion platform for exchanging messages and memes amongst Rice students. In recent weeks, antisemitic and racist posts were made by members of our community on this app. It is entirely hateful and dangerously intolerant. 

International issues deserve our attention, too

Anyone who walked through the academic quad on Monday encountered the statue of William Marsh Rice visibly covered by sheets of A4 paper that read “习近平下台,” which roughly translates to “Resign Xi Jinping.” Other signs read “No emperor in a republic” and “Not my president.” These signs are part of larger protests happening in mainland China — that are being echoed by Chinese people across the world — in response to nearly three years of aggressive COVID lockdowns across the country. 

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.