Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens, Sept. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Michelle Gachelin     9/6/22 11:11pm

Somi

Head to the Miller Outdoor Theatre for a free performance from Grammy Award-nominated jazz vocalist Somi this Saturday, Sept. 10 at 8 p.m.

Fall Craft Market

The Houston Center for Contemporary Craft is kicking off their new series of seasonal craft markets this Saturday, Sept. 10 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Shop crafts and goods from a selection of local artists and vendors.

‘Found & Made’

Archway Gallery, a local artist-owned gallery, is presenting “Found & Made,” a collection of sculptures from Damon Thomas. The artist will be present at the opening reception to speak about his work.

Menil Curator Talk

The Menil’s Associate Curator of Modern Art will speak about Swiss artist Meret Oppenheim’s collage work during the free program this Sunday, Sept. 11 at 3 p.m.

Black Art at Rice: Akaya Chambers designs her future in theatre

When Akaya Chambers was twelve years old, she made her own Halloween costume — a steampunk TARDIS dress. It was the first time she had ever sewn, but she hasn’t put down her needle and thread since. In the years following, she discovered a passion for costume design and theatre on and off of the stage as a costume designer and actor, and on the page as a playwright. 

Review: ‘Five Easy Hot Dogs’ is a mellow road trip of soothing instrumentals

It’s impossible to understate Mac DeMarco’s influence in the world of indie music. Since his breakout 2012 album ‘2,’ DeMarco’s twangy jangle pop songs have inspired new musicians and subgenres, notably bedroom pop. Tracks like “Chamber of Reflection” helped define alternative music in the mid-2010s, and recently, cuts like “Heart to Heart” have been wildly popular on TikTok. At the core of these successes were not only strong instrumentation but a slacker attitude and a sense of understated romance within DeMarco’s lyrics. However, for “Five Easy Hot Dogs,” DeMarco has ditched this core component in favor of focusing on instrumentals. Regardless of this switch-up, DeMarco has constructed a solid project full of unique albeit forgettable songs that inspire a sense of tranquility unmatched by his other work.