Thursday, February 29, 2024 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens, Sept. 7

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Michelle Gachelin     9/6/22 11:11pm

Somi

Head to the Miller Outdoor Theatre for a free performance from Grammy Award-nominated jazz vocalist Somi this Saturday, Sept. 10 at 8 p.m.

Fall Craft Market

The Houston Center for Contemporary Craft is kicking off their new series of seasonal craft markets this Saturday, Sept. 10 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Shop crafts and goods from a selection of local artists and vendors.

‘Found & Made’

Archway Gallery, a local artist-owned gallery, is presenting “Found & Made,” a collection of sculptures from Damon Thomas. The artist will be present at the opening reception to speak about his work.

Menil Curator Talk

The Menil’s Associate Curator of Modern Art will speak about Swiss artist Meret Oppenheim’s collage work during the free program this Sunday, Sept. 11 at 3 p.m.

Chaus launches new art gallery

Coffeehouse unveiled new art lining the walls of their cafe space on Feb. 18, featuring student artists and photographers. The project is helmed by keepers of coffee Caroline Leung and Kate Hilton, who lead a committee called “Espresso Yourself” that aims to highlight student creativity and art.

With ‘Practices of Attention,’ Rice students explore capitalist ruins

Anyone who has walked through Sewall Hall in the past couple months has inevitably seen the words “ARTS 477: Practices of Attention in Capitalist Ruins” written in big, bold lettering on flyers displayed throughout the building. The class is part of a larger project associated with the Moody Project Wall piece “Practices of Attention” envisioned by Angela Chen, a lecturer of art in Rice’s Department of Art.

Review: ‘The Taste of Things’ explores the culinary world

In recent years, food has become increasingly commodified and diminished, at least in on-screen depictions. The allure of perfectly curated dishes on TikTok and other social media apps has desensitized us to the simple pleasures of good food — when everything looks picture perfect, nothing feels particularly special.