Thresher Declassified: ACL Survival Guide 2022

acl-guide-illustratred-by-ndidi-nwosu
Ndidi Nwosu / Thresher

By Morgan Gage     9/27/22 11:49pm

It’s been a year since my last ACL survival guide of dubious quality, and I’ve returned with another to prepare all wannabee Austinites and music lovers for one of the largest music events Texas has to offer. This music festival spans two weekends, eight stages and features over 100 musical acts and a long list of food options. The 2022 festival dates are set for the weekends of Oct. 7-9 and 14-16, and one-day tickets are still available for purchase.

If you’re as annoying about live music as I am, you might be planning on making the trek to Austin, and, to ease your pre-festival worries, here is the Thresher’s Unofficial Guide to ACL.

When, where and how do I get there?

As I mentioned before, ACL spans two weekends. There are some small differences in the festival line-ups. A few artists are only going to be there for one or the other, so it might be worth considering which artists are a must-see for you. 

However, it’s worth noting that the first weekend coincides with Rice’s midterm break, for better or worse. Maybe you’re planning a road trip for the long weekend! Or, if you’re like me last year, you’re planning to use Monday and Tuesday to recover from the (exhausting) whirlwind of an ACL weekend (and to catch up on work — no Thresher that week, sorry. I get to go camping). 

Zilker Park, the location for the festival, is in south Austin, so it’s worth keeping your travel plans in mind if you’re looking for somewhere to stay. For those who aren’t making the two-and-a-half-hour drive themselves, round-trip Megabus tickets from Houston to Austin start at approximately $40. For a slightly cheaper alternative, round-trip Greyhound tickets begin at approximately $37 with the trade-off of a likely lengthier ride. 

What about COVID?

Last year’s ACL attendees may remember having to bring their vaccination card and a mask. This year, however, there is no requirement to show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test. However, ACL and the CDC encourage unvaccinated attendees to wear a mask. 

What should I bring with me?

Sorry to break this to the girls drinking nothing but iced coffee — you have to stay hydrated. Unless you’d rather pass out from dehydration than make it through the Texas autumn heat before SZA takes the stage, I strongly suggest you bring either a hydration pack or refillable water bottle that you can refill at stations across the festival. Your water bottle or hydration pack must be empty upon entry to the festival.

Beyond that, you’ll want something to carry your things. Fanny packs with a single pocket are allowed and are a great way to keep your necessities close to you. If you want a little more storage space, ACL has a clear bag policy, but, when possible, I recommend traveling light. The smaller your bag can be, the better. You won’t want that tote bag while dancing during Lil Nas X’s set.

Prepare for a day in the sun, so a small, non-aerosol container of sunscreen is a good addition along with wearing cool and comfortable clothes. If you have longer hair, bring a hair tie. The scrunchie on my wrist last year quite possibly saved my life.

Keep in mind that you’ll be on your feet for most of the day — comfort is key, and you don’t want to ruin your favorite shoes with dirt, mud and sweat over the weekend. My bright yellow heels would look great in my post-ACL Instagram post, but it’s not worth it, I promise. 

Things I’m bringing that I wouldn’t recommend? A pen and notepad. I’m going for Thresher, so if you spot me looking at my notes way too seriously that’s why. But, hey, I do it for all of you.