Saturday, May 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens, April 20

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     4/19/22 11:36pm

SPOCO

Spontaneous Combustion, Rice’s improv group, will present their senior show April 22 at 7 p.m. in Herring Hall 100. 

COMICON

Traders Village Houston Comicon is April 23 and 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. The event features autograph opportunities, workshops, vendors and music. The event is free with $5 parking.

HOUSTON LATIN FEST

Houston Latin Fest 2022 is Sunday, April 24 from 1 to 10 p.m. in Midtown Park. The event is a family-oriented cultural festival and features top performers in Latin music. Tickets are available for pre-sale online for $10.

A CAPPELLA

Join a cappella group Rice Nocturnal for their senior show at 6 p.m. in the RMC Chapel. The Low Keys will have their spring concert and senior farewell Sunday, April 24 at 8 p.m., also in the RMC Chapel.

Review: Jack White’s ‘Fear of the Dawn’ pushes rock forward with experimentation

Last year, Jack White promised fans not one, but two albums to be released in 2022 within months of each other. Throughout the pandemic, White created a wealth of music that went in “all different directions: some incredibly heavy; almost like speed metal; some sounded so gentle.” Instead of packaging them as one unit, a bulky double album as seen from artists like Drake and Kanye West recently, White decided to break them into two separate works: a heavier, rock-focused record and a folk album.