Tuesday, March 19, 2024 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens, April 20

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     4/19/22 11:36pm

SPOCO

Spontaneous Combustion, Rice’s improv group, will present their senior show April 22 at 7 p.m. in Herring Hall 100. 

COMICON

Traders Village Houston Comicon is April 23 and 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. The event features autograph opportunities, workshops, vendors and music. The event is free with $5 parking.

HOUSTON LATIN FEST

Houston Latin Fest 2022 is Sunday, April 24 from 1 to 10 p.m. in Midtown Park. The event is a family-oriented cultural festival and features top performers in Latin music. Tickets are available for pre-sale online for $10.

A CAPPELLA

Join a cappella group Rice Nocturnal for their senior show at 6 p.m. in the RMC Chapel. The Low Keys will have their spring concert and senior farewell Sunday, April 24 at 8 p.m., also in the RMC Chapel.

A&E predicts the 2024 Academy Awards

It’s March already, meaning it is time to examine the Academy Awards, an event sure to be full of awkward moments, baffling losses and confounding decisions, once again hosted by Jimmy Kimmel for some reason. However, the 96th Academy Awards Ceremony has something special going for it — this past year was an excellent one for film. It will be difficult in many categories for the Academy to make a bad choice, though there certainly are some categories the Thresher A&E section feels strongly about. Here are our picks for who will win at the 96th Annual Oscars and who actually deserves it.

Review: ‘Dune: Part Two’ is a visual and narrative spectacle

There have been a number of attempts to do justice to Frank Herbert’s massively influential novel, “Dune,” over the years. The most famous of these attempts include a David Lynch adaptation, notably edited in post to the point where the director himself allegedly asked for his name to be removed from the final product, and an attempt by director Alejandro Jodorowsky to make an over 10-hour version in the ’70s. Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” and “Dune: Part Two” finally succeed in conveying the vastness and wonder of Arrakis by giving one of cinema’s modern auteurs control over a property that he had already designed storyboards for as a teenager.