Saturday, February 04, 2023 — Houston, TX

Tuition raises 3.9 percent for 2022-2023 school year

breaking-news

By Savannah Kuchar     3/23/22 10:01am

Tuition for next year will increase by $2,030 to $54,100, up 3.9 percent from this year, with the overall cost of attendance rising 3.5 percent to a total of $69,963, according to a news release from the Office of Public Affairs.

For this current school year, tuition was raised 3.5 percent to $52,070, and before that in the 2020-2021 academic year, it had increased 3.7 percent.

Wednesday’s release said the Rice Investment will continue offering financial support for admitted students. Announced last December, income brackets for the program will expand in the fall to now offer grants for full tuition, mandatory fees, room and board to students whose families have an income under $75,000. Rice will also cover at least full tuition for students with family incomes between $75,000 and $140,000 and at least half tuition for those between $140,000 and $200,000. 

“One of our highest priorities is to continue attracting a student body that’s diverse in every dimension,” Provost Reginald DesRoches said in the release. “We’re proud that Rice gives talented students from all backgrounds, including low- and middle-income families, a chance to achieve educational excellence at one of the nation’s finest private universities.”

According to the release, costs for graduate programs at Rice will vary, including a 3.9 percent increase in tuition for doctoral students.

Yvonne Romero da Silva, Rice’s vice president for enrollment, said Rice opens doors of opportunity to students from all walks of life. 

“We look forward to making those opportunities available for the next freshman class walking through the iconic sallyport of Lovett Hall,” Romero da Silva said in the press release.

Will the real Yo-Yo’s Hot Dog please stand up?: H&D brings True Dog Houston to campus after all

Housing & Dining announced on Jan. 31 that they had reached an agreement with “YOYO” to operate on campus. But the next day, H&D sent the Rice community a follow-up email with a flyer for the vendor they had actually secured: True Dog Houston, operated by Damion Loera, a former partner of YoYo’s Hot Dog who has since opened his own business selling similar hot dogs.

Fifth datathon held at Rice

The Rice Datathon, run by the Rice DataSci Club and the Rice D2K Lab, returned for its fifth year this past weekend, hosting approximately 470 participants from across the country and attaining a significantly higher in-person attendance than previous years, according to Apple Li, co-director of this year’s event.