Review: Dave’s Hot Chicken heats up Rice Village

daves-hot-chicken-channing-wang-web
Channing Wang / Thresher

By Talha Arif and Channing Wang     3/1/22 11:31pm

Rating: ★★★★½

Dave’s Hot Chicken opened in Rice Village this past weekend, and alongside free shot glasses and temporary tattoos, they delivered some fiery sliders and tenders. The location is adjacent to Velvet Taco at 2525 Rice Boulevard and has plenty of Rice decor on their walls to appease their majority customer base. 

As self-proclaimed hot chicken connoisseurs, we came into the restaurant with high expectations. Past Houston hot chicken hits, including Yummy’s and Howdy Hot Chicken, already set our bar exceedingly high. Dave’s didn’t disappoint; with their high-quality ingredients and generous portions, Dave’s has easily become one of our top Houston hot chicken spots.

After a surprisingly short four minute wait, we received our order: two sliders and two tenders on white bread. We ordered the hot spice level, and the spice coating was visible from a few feet away. 

The sliders hit all the essential categories. The chicken was crunchy yet juicy, the slaw was fresh and the signature Dave’s sauce added just the right kick. The sliders also appeared to come in a potato bun, a unique choice we haven’t seen elsewhere. However, Dave’s Hot Chicken incorporates another unique, optional addition to their sliders: honey.

We added some honey to the top of our sliders, and it was a game-changer. Although we aren’t sweet-and-savory-combo fans, the honey added a tangy aftertaste to the chicken that balanced some of the intense spice felt at the hot level. For spice enthusiasts like ourselves, the hot level tingled our collective taste buds.

The tenders tasted similar to the sliders, but were slightly smaller in size. We recommend getting the two slider meal (the Dave’s #2) for $12.99 for the most value. One meal is enough to satiate you and still have some leftovers.

The interior is similar to that of other popular hot chicken joints, such as the urban design of Howdy Hot Chicken. As you walk in, you are cheerfully greeted by several employees with a “Welcome to Dave’s!” While we ate, employees regularly checked in to make sure everything was to our liking. Compared to their other two locations, one in Midtown and one further out on Westheimer, the hot chicken served here seemed to be fresher and their spice had more kick. 

Dave’s is a part of a slew of restaurants opening this year in Rice Village, alongside Ike’s Love & Sandwiches, Pokeworks and soon-to-open Share Tea. With their short wait time and flexible hours — they’re open until midnight on the weekends — Dave’s Hot Chicken is a convenient spot for students, especially when the Yoyo’s line gets too long.