Sunday, May 12, 2024 — Houston, TX

Bringing Poke to Rice Village

img-7591
Photo courtesy Julia Li

By Julia Li     9/21/21 10:06pm

Review: ★★★★½

Tucked in the corner of Rice Village, Pokeworks recently celebrated their grand opening with an exclusive buy one, get one free offer on all poke bowls and burritos. The chain store quickly rose to popularity following their 2015 opening in Midtown Manhattan, attracting the attention of millions after a short video clip showcasing their delectable menu accumulated over 52 million views. From there, Pokeworks has expanded across North America with over fifty new locations. 

This past weekend, the line sprawled out of Pokeworks as dozens of people waited to try something from their famed menu. The restaurant offered signature, pre-made Poke bowls and special combos that included drinks and sides along with the standard poke bowl. Along with signature options such as yuzu ponzu salmon and sweet shoyu tofu, the restaurant allows its customers to create a custom bowl.  This allows you to choose every aspect of your bowl, from the base mix and proteins to the mix-ins and toppings. 

As a picky eater, I decided to opt for a custom made bowl with a base of sushi rice, topped with  shrimp and organic tofu. Although you can only choose two proteins for the regular size and three for the large portion, Pokeworks doesn’t cap its customers with the amount of mix-ins and toppings. After adding an assortment of fresh vegetables, fruits and crunchy toppings like wonton crisps and shredded nori, they doused my poke bowl with their signature Pokeworks Classic sauce. 

Despite how busy they were that morning, the quality of their food remained top-tier with immensely fresh vegetables and ripe fruit. Furthermore, even though I chose the smallest sized option, Pokeworks certainly doesn’t shy away from offering their customers generous servings. 

The only downside of Pokeworks was the size of the store, as there were minimal seating options. However, the quality of their poke, along with their proximity to the Rice campus, makes it a great grab-and-go option. If you’re looking for a healthy and delectable dining option near campus, Pokeworks just might be your next go-to.