Vote. It’s not that hard.

After last year’s Student Association election saw less than a fourth of the student body turnout to vote, we penned an editorial calling on students to engage further with the SA and its elections. As we approach another election — voting opens next Wednesday — we feel it necessary to reiterate our call. For anyone who has tried to raise student awareness of an issue, aired a grievance against the administration or tried to spur change on campus, now is the time to cast your ballot for who you want to represent the student body and fight for the issues that matter to you.

There is a common misconception, somewhat excusably, that the business of the SA only concerns a small number of students. With this perception, people feel that they have nothing at stake in the elections and therefore don’t bother casting a ballot. But this year, the SA has been thrust into the spotlight over a variety of issues, such as the debate over moving the Founder’s Memorial and the disabling of the EarthCam. In both of those controversies, administrators cited SA concerns and suggestions as guidance for their actions. 

It is clear now more than ever that the SA plays a direct role in student life on this campus. So what should y’all do? Vote. Luckily, the voting process couldn’t really be any easier. The SA conducts its elections antithetical to everything for which the new Texas election law stands. Every student is automatically registered, the ballot is emailed directly to each voter, and voting takes place online, 24/7 over eight days. 

All that being said, voting just for the sake of voting is not enough. You can and should educate yourself on the candidates to make an informed decision through any number of means. Visit the candidates’ websites and read about their platforms. Read our election coverage this week and our candidate endorsements next week. Attend the SA Presidential Debate on Monday night. And if all else fails, approach the candidates personally and ask them for their position on an issue you care about. Use your vote to shape the organization that can bring the issues you most care about to the forefront of campus discussion.

Editor’s Note: Thresher editorials are collectively written by the members of the Thresher’s editorial board. Current members include Savannah Kuchar, Ben Baker-Katz, Nayeli Shad, Talha Arif, Morgan Gage, Daniel Schrager and Brandon Chen.