Celebrate Mardi Gras in Houston

mardi-gras-ndidi-nwosu
Illustrated by Ndidi Nwosu

By Morgan Gage     2/22/22 11:10pm

Mardi Gras is the culmination of the celebrations from Epiphany on Jan. 6 to the day before Ash Wednesday known as Fat Tuesday, which is “Mardi Gras” in French. This reflects the practice of eating rich, fatty foods before the beginning of Lenten fasting season. The holiday has French roots, it is celebrated in the United States, especially in cities and regions with traditionally French populations such as New Orleans where their annual festivities in the days preceding Fat Tuesday attract locals and tourists alike. Here are just some of the ways to celebrate Mardi Gras in the Houston area for those interested.

Mardi Gras! Galveston

For those able to make the trip to Galveston between now and March 1, Mardi Gras! Galveston celebration offers multiple times to enjoy parades, bead catching and music. General admission to the festivities costs $16 and can be purchased online.

There’s a schedule of parades from Friday, Feb. 26 and throughout the weekend. Because of the parades being spread out across the weekend and days preceding Fat Tuesday, each can slot into a schedule differently, and visitors can choose which krewe — krewe refers to any group of people or organization that hosts a Mardi Gras ball or rides on a Mardi Gras parade float — to see. There is even a pet-friendly option hosted on Sunday, Feb. 28, which is led by the “elite pet owner” of the year. For music enthusiasts, there is a lineup of concerts throughout the weekend, and several of the shows offer free admission.

For those with flexible enough schedules, there is a parade through downtown Galveston on Tuesday, March  1 at 6:30 p.m., featuring all Galveston Mardi Gras Krewes.

Learn @ Lunch at Central Market

Join a class at Central Market on Tuesday, March 1 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. for a Fat Tuesday cooking class. The class will teach attendees to make Creole crab dip with garlic crostini, crawfish etouffee and chocolate pecan praline brownies. Join to learn new cooking techniques as well as enjoy a Mardi Gras-inspired lunch. Tickets for the class are $30 and are available to purchase online

Get a taste of locally owned food

Houston may not be New Orleans, but there are plenty of options for cajun and creole food in the city. For people wanting a taste of king cake — a dessert that exists somewhere between a coffee cake and a cinnamon roll often with brightly colored purple, yellow and green icing and cream cheese or fruit fillings — there are plenty of bakeries throughout the city that offer the dessert that is traditionally eaten during Mardi Gras season. 

While king cake is available at grocery stores such as H-E-B, several local bakeries at a variety of price points to fit someone’s budget. While I hesitate to recommend any bakery in particular considering there are more options available than I could ever try, my roommate and I picked up one of the last cakes left at Three Brothers Bakery last year as the winter freeze encroached on Houston. We found their praline king cake to be a fine substitute for hot meals when our power went out.

Mardi Gras at Downtown Aquarium

Have a taste of Louisiana-style cuisine at the downtown aquarium now through the Mardi Gras season. Take a table amid sea creatures swimming through the aquarium restaurant with a $25 admission price. Tickets can be purchased online in advance.