Celebrate Lunar New Year in Houston

andrea-gomez-lunar-new-year-illy
Illustrated by Andrea Gomez

By Morgan Gage     1/25/22 11:42pm

With the Lunar New Year approaching on Feb. 1, celebrations are happening in Houston to ring in new beginnings and the Year of the Tiger. The Lunar New Year is the beginning of the lunar calendar and is commonly referred to as the Chinese New Year, but is actually celebrated by several countries and cultures globally. With celebrations happening both virtually and in person, there are plenty of opportunities to commemorate the new year across the Houston area.

Lunar New Year Houston

Celebrate the Year of the Tiger on Feb. 5 and 6 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Viet Hoa Center in Houston. Public performances begin at 11 a.m. each day with the performance schedule available on their website. Lunar New Year Houston will feature music, dance, martial arts presentations and more. 

Lunar New Year Food Festival 

For over 30 food vendors with the Otaku Food Festival, visit 8th Wonder Brewery on Jan. 29 and 30 from 12 to 10 p.m. Vendors will offer cuisine from Laos, Mexico, Japan, the Philippines, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and more. There will be a lineup of brews as well as live music. 

Texas Lunar Festival

For a virtual option, watch the 25th Annual Texas Lunar Festival on Jan. 29 at 10:30 a.m. on Southern News TV’s app, Facebook or Youtube page. The festival is typically attended by thousands of people in Texas but will be available more broadly since the event is entirely virtual amid the current COVID-19 spike. 

Lunar New Year 2022 at Asia Society Texas

Join Asia Society Texas on Feb. 5 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. to celebrate the Lunar New Year with performances, food and beverages for sale, and vendors at the event and activities.  The event is free and open to the public, but registration is required and can be done on their website. Performances by Huaxing Arts Group Houston are ticketed and cost $10 for non-members.

Lunar New Year at River Oaks District

Make the trip to the River Oaks District to celebrate the Lunar New Year on Feb. 12  from 3 to 5 p.m. with Soaring Phoenix presenting a Dragon Dance performance that includes  acrobats, stilt walkers and traditional costumes. Soaring Phoenix uses their resources to support organizations serving underserved communities and orphanages in Vietnam.