Monday, December 06, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens, Nov. 3

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     11/2/21 11:56pm

Gentleman’s Guide

Wiess Tabletop Theatre and the Sid Theatre Committee will present “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.” Performances will be in Wiess commons as well as live streamed on Nov. 5, 6, 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. and Nov. 7 and 13 at 2 p.m. Admission is free.

All-Night Writing

Join the Rice Players Nov. 5 from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m in Hamman Hall for an all-night playwriting event. Spend the night writing a play for their upcoming playwriting contest or a personal project. The event is free and includes food at the event.

Jewish Book and Arts Festival

The Evelyn Rubenstein Jewish Community Center of Houston will be hosting the Ann and Stephen Kaufman Jewish Book and Arts Festival Nov. 6 through 16. There will be various events. Ticket prices vary although some are free and can be purchased online.

Chalk on the Block 

See pavement art being created live on Nov. 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Chalk on the Block at Baldwin Park. Artists will design fall-themed art for this month’s event.

Review: ‘Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley’ is a holiday delight

Main Street Theater’s production of “Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley” is a play that serves as a sequel to Jane Austen’s classic “Pride and Prejudice.” Lauren Gunderson’s clever script showcases the Bennet sisters once again, this time spending Christmas together at Pemberley. This farcical romantic-comedy focuses on awkward middle sister Mary Bennet (Chaney Moore) as she finds love with Mr. Darcy’s equally awkward cousin, Arthur de Bourgh (Aaron Alford). Main Street Theater presents an excellent production of the show with very few missteps and is only a walk to Rice Village away from campus. Performances will continue through Dec. 19 with $10 student tickets. 

Review: More risk, less reward than expected from Adele’s ‘30’

Adele’s fourth studio album “30” is a vulnerable amalgamation of jarring rhythms and soulful influences. Released on Nov. 19, “30” generated widespread critical acclaim for its candid, emotional narration of Adele’s divorce from Simon Konecki. Despite her previously established reputation for a rich vocal range and expressive, emotional lyricism, listeners and critics alike have lauded the new record as Adele’s greatest musical risk to date. A poignant account of the turbulence of family, love, fame, and heartbreak, “30” reiterates Adele’s timeless ability to storytell in a way that touches the hearts of fans everywhere. 

Holiday sights around Houston

It is beginning to look a lot like the holiday season with the lit up Christmas tree at Fondren, Mariah Carey playing at the President’s barbecue and lights wound around trees in Rice Village. To reel in the Houston winter vibes, look no further for a list of holiday attractions to visit during dead days to avoid studying for finals.