Monday, November 29, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Halloween Scenes and Screens

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     10/27/21 12:01am

HALLOWEEN BIKE & BEATS

Come to Rice Bikes’ annual Halloween Bike and Beats for a bike ride, live music from Soulcast and Rice Coffeehouse hot cocoa this Friday Oct. 29 from 6 to 8 p.m. Costumes are encouraged for attendees with the best costume receiving a prize. 

THE GREEN KNIGHT

Join Rice Cinema this Saturday Oct. 30 to watch “The Green Knight” at 7 p.m. for Halloween. Adapted from the fourteenth-century chivalric poem, “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight,” the film follows Sir Gawain on his quest against the Green Knight. Rice Cinema is located in Sewall Hall 301. 

DRAG BRUNCH

Go to Slay All Day Drag Brunch this Saturday Oct. 30 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Social Beer Garden HTX. This brunch features $20 bottomless mimosas, local drag queens and music by DJ GNDRBNDR. Admission is free. 

PERIOD AT RICE

Despookifying Menstruation will be hosted at Farnsworth Pavilion this Sunday Oct. 31 from 2 to 5 p.m. With a Halloween costume competition, food, punch, cookie and button decorating, an opportunity to make friendship bracelets and time to pack menstruation supplies, Despookifying Menstruation offers opportunities for fun and to give back to the community.

Review: ‘Passing’ is a must-see product of its actors’ skill and excellent direction

Early in “Passing,” the movie’s protagonist Irene Redfield (Tessa Thompson) declares, “I have everything I’ve ever wanted.” This is a pretty good sign that Redfield, in fact, does not have everything she has ever wanted. At first glance, Redfield has a picturesque life: two children, an attractive doctor husband and a maid to tend to their beautiful house. But through a well-constructed slow burn plot, “Passing” reveals that Redfield has merely repressed her discontent. 

Budget Bites: Rosalie Italian Soul

Budgeting as a college student can be difficult, especially when it comes to finding places to eat. Ordering in can lead to hefty delivery costs and fees, and cheap fast food can become repetitive quickly. Although at first glance, the price of the menu may appear comparatively steep, Rosalie Italian Soul offers a number of finds for both lunch and dinner under $20.