Saturday, October 23, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Sept. 22

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Morgan Gage     9/21/21 10:49pm

LATIN DANCE FACTORY

Join the Latin Dance Factory for their monthly Salsa, Bachata and Cumbia dance lesson and party. The event is on the rooftop of Ivy Bar on Sept. 24 at 8:30 p.m. Entry is free.

MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL GALA

Join the Rice Chinese Students & Scholars Association to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival on Sept. 25 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the RMC. Tickets will be sold through Sept. 24 in front of the Grand Hall from 12 to 2 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m. starting at $3 for Rice students who purchase tickets ahead of the event.

HOUSTON LATIN FEST

Attend the annual Houston Latin Fest Sept. 26 from 1 to 10 p.m. in Midtown Park for music, food and more. Pre-sale tickets are $10 and are available for purchase online.

HOUSTON FOOD FEST

Get a taste of some of Houston’s finest food trucks and enjoy live music at the South Houston Food Fest on Sept. 26 from 12 to 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and available online, and entry is free for those who arrive before 11 a.m.

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”