Sunday, September 26, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Alumna and renowned opera singer Erin Wall passes away at 44

photo-courtesy-kristin-hoebermann
Photo Courtesy Kristin Hoebermann

By Ivanka Perez     11/3/20 8:27pm

Rice alumna and renowned opera singer Erin Wall passed away on Oct. 8 at 44, after a years-long struggle with breast cancer. She is survived by her husband and two children.

Wall attended Rice from 1998 to 2000 for her Master of Music in Vocal Performance after completing her Bachelor's degree at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington. She grew up in Vancouver, and was a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. 

On her professional website, Wall wrote that she was exposed to the world of music through her music family, as her parents were both professional musicians. However, she didn't always know she wanted to be a singer.

"While in some ways opera was a natural fit — it appealed to my musical and dramatic side — I still struggled with being in the spotlight," Wall wrote on her website. "I felt very safe and capable performing as part of a group, but it took a long time to get comfortable with owning the spotlight as a soloist."

In an interview with the New York Times, Andrew Davis, Wall's music director at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, shared his awe at Wall's immense talent.

“There’s a marvelous soprano aria [that goes], ‘The sun goeth down,’” Davis told the New York Times. “And I’ve never heard anyone sing it more beautifully, with such ease and such poignancy. I think of her singing and I get goose bumps.”

Tom Jaber, the director of choral music at the Shepherd School of Music, said that he kept in touch with Wall after her time at Rice, occasionally meeting up with her when she came to Houston to perform. 

"[She had] kind of a bright, shining but full-bodied tone. She was a superb musician," Jaber said. "She sang a piece like the Mahler Eighth Symphony from memory. Everybody else was standing on stage using music and Erin's standing there, just with her arms out in front of her gown, singing her part and frankly keeping everyone else in line around her. She was a remarkably brilliant musician."

One week after hearing of her passing, Jaber said he had a poignant encounter with one of her previous performances, which inspired him to write a Facebook post honoring her memory.

"I happened to be at home that Sunday morning ... and I watched the ‘CBS Sunday Morning’ [show] on television," Jaber said. "I was really not paying attention to the television at all, but all of a sudden, I was sitting there and I hear someone begin to sing … and I thought, my Lord, that sounds like Erin Wall. So I turned and looked at the TV, and they [were honoring] Erin Wall."

Jaber also kept in touch with Wall through Facebook, where he said Wall often posted candid messages about her struggle with breast cancer. During a virtual meeting to honor Wall's memory, Jaber said he had the opportunity to hear from Rice graduates and former faculty members who had known and admired her.

"The thing that struck me is that we all were able to speak to her strength of character and to her determination to not be thought of only as someone who was a victim of breast cancer," Jaber said. "She wanted to be remembered as a mother and as a wife and as a singer who was very grateful for a tremendously wonderful singing voice."

Wall was outspoken about her health struggles outside of her social media pages as well; in early 2019, she wrote a blog post for the Canadian Opera Company detailing how her experience with breast cancer impacted her life as a singer.

"This odyssey brought a lot of love into my life, and I marvel each day at how lucky I am to have family and friends who supported me from start to finish and beyond," Wall wrote in her blog post. "Not a day goes by that I don’t reflect on that."

Working group proposes changes to undergraduate education requirements

Two recommendations, including introducing themes into distribution courses and removing prerequisites from distribution offerings, have been proposed to alter the undergraduate curriculum requirements by the General Education Faculty Working Group, according to Douglas Schuler, associate professor of business and public policy. Schuler presented these working group recommendations at the Sept. 20 Student Association Senate, after presenting them at the Sept. 1 Faculty Senate meeting.

Majority of classes return to in-person instruction this week and next

The majority of classes with 50 or more students will transition back to in-person learning between Sept. 20 and Sept. 27, following an email from the Office of the Provost announcing this return. Previously, courses with 50 or more students were kept online, even as other classes returned to in-person learning after the second week of the semester, according to an email from the Office of the Provost on Sept. 2.

Rice working to launch diversity and inclusion course for first-year students

​​Rice University student leaders and faculty are currently working to develop a required course on diversity and inclusion for freshmen, according to Alexander Byrd, the vice provost for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Byrd said that in the past, Rice was not sufficiently diverse to adequately reflect on and begin addressing social problems that the university faces.