Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

LTTE: Don’t confuse College Republicans’ inaction with malice

juliette-turner

By Juliette Turner     10/17/18 7:58pm

Two issues were recently brought to light by Maddy Scannell and Moses Glickman in their letter to the editor: my misstatement in my interview with the Thresher on Oct. 3 and Rice University College Republicans’ lack of voter registration on campus in the past weeks. Contrary to what Maddy and Moses insinuate, both issues are wholly unrelated in nature and intention. 

Regarding my misstatement, I would like to thank Maddy and Moses for correcting the record. Upon investigation, I realize now that I did receive two emails inviting RUCR to participate in voter registration efforts in early July. At the time of my interview with the Thresher on Oct. 3, I did not remember these two emails. The fact that so much time had elapsed (from early July to early October) is the reason for my misstatement. I had no ulterior motive.  

Scannell and Glickman further explain that I failed to respond to the emails in July. This was an oversight on my part. The emails I received, however, contained no specific details about voter registration drives or specific events on campus. The email from the Center for Civic Leadership, dated July 6, asked me to join a committee to draft Rice’s plan to increase civic engagement on campus as part of a nationwide initiative among universities. The email from Rice University Young Democrats President Franz Brotzen, dated July 10, pertained only to voter registration during Orientation Week with a timeline still to be determined. I read both emails and appreciated the CCL’s and Brotzen’s initiative to register voters and increase civic engagement on campus. I should have responded to these emails and inquired about the dates of specific activities closer to the start of the semester in order to ensure our participation in such events. I thank the Young Democrats and other clubs on campus for their efforts to promote voter registration on campus, and I look forward to collaborating with them in the future.

The larger issue at hand, however, is the conflation of my failure to respond to two emails in the summer and Scannell and Glickman’s claim that Republicans in general do not want to register college students to vote. Nothing could be further from the truth, and such a leap in rational judgement should be striking to any reader. Republicans, myself included, want every citizen to be registered to vote. 

I speak on behalf of the Rice University College Republicans when I say that we in no way want to bar or discourage any American citizen from voting, regardless of their political affiliation. Our government is a republic, which means that we are only represented insofar as we vote. Thus, voting is vital to the preservation of our nation — a statement with which all members of the Rice University College Republicans would agree. Voting is one of the most important, if not the most important, activity in which every citizen has the privilege to engage. From a very young age, I have been strongly committed to educating and civically engaging America’s youth in many forums — no matter their political ideology or their background. Any insinuation that I, as a Republican, want to discourage individuals of differing beliefs or ideologies from voting is outrageous and untrue. 

Furthermore, I firmly believe that voter registration should not be a partisan activity. Rather, I believe that voting is one of the most bipartisan activities existing in our nation today. When a voter registration drive occurs on campus, my fervent hope would be that any registrar would register an individual regardless of their political ideology. 

Where we must agree: the politics of humanness

The words “free speech” will likely elicit groans from Thresher readers. Over the last three years, there have been three articles in the Opinion section bemoaning the need for a “classically liberal” political discourse at Rice. Unfortunately, between their self-righteousness and needless wordiness, they read more like whiny lectures than conversation starters. However, despite their condescension, their existence does suggest something unsettling about not just our campus politics, but politics at large. As the electorates of democracies around the world have become more sharply divided, the way we speak to each other, not just across the aisle but to our similarly minded partisans, has become more accusatory, exclusionary and violent. Put simply: we do not want to talk to each other, and understandably so. It is exhausting, and, more than that, we just don’t seem to know how to.

Off-campus students should sublet their rooms to those who need winter break housing

For the first time since 2019, Rice is not allowing undergraduate students to remain in their on-campus housing during winter break. While this is a disappointing development, we understand why this decision needed to be made. Like students, staff need a break after a long semester. Further, keeping students on campus by providing housing over break was originally implemented to address pandemic travel restrictions, which are mostly gone. However, the need for winter housing is not gone. This decision still leaves some international students — or any other on-campus student looking to remain in Houston — scrambling for housing.

The Honor Council needs to act more responsibly

For the past year, I have served as an at-large representative on the Rice Honor Council. I have sat through dozens of cases, read hundreds of pages of evidence and spent countless hours working to improve the transparency and fairness of the Honor System. While there are a myriad of issues with the Honor System, as there are with any institutional system, there is one in particular that needs to be addressed with expediency. The Honor Council is currently not an effective deliberative body due to the general lack of engagement from some of its members, which include elected representatives.