Rice Gallery treatment shows lack of concern for arts

headshotvergarareynolds

Felisa Vergara Reynolds

By Felisa Vergara Reynolds     5/22/17 2:50pm

On Friday, May 12, I took my 9-year-old daughter to visit the Rice Gallery one last time before it closed. She has been going to see exhibits there before she was old enough to walk, and later as she got older, marveling at every interactive installation that allowed you to walk through, or even (gasp) touch the work of world-renowned artists. And, long before she was born, as an undergraduate and later as a graduate student on campus, I always found my way to the Rice Gallery. As I often had classes at Rayzor Hall or Sewall Hall, I’d make it a point to take the long way back and peek into the gallery. What truly made the Rice Gallery special was its location in the heart of campus. As such, you were sometimes privy to the artist at work. It was always a thrill to watch a work slowly come to life, as you went about the business of classes and the more mundane aspects of life.

One of those works that I got to see come to life was “Dots Obsession” by Kusama. As everyone in Houston (and later the rest of the U.S.) was tirelessly Instagramming her exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, I was among the lucky that had a memory of first experiencing her work at the Rice Gallery. As a freshman I got to bathe in the yellow light and marvel at a brilliant work that covered every inch of available space in the gallery — in between classes. In the Rice Gallery farewell video made by Walley Films, the blurb reminds us, “For more than 20 years, Rice University Art Gallery has been the only university gallery in the nation devoted to commissioning site-specific installation art.” In a world in which universities are increasingly more concerned with adding lazy rivers and ubiquitous rock walls, the Rice Gallery was truly sui generis.

As my daughter and I were leaving the Sol LeWitt show and the gallery for the last time, I had the chance to chat with two students majoring in visual and dramatic arts. We shared our dismay at the fact that this special space would soon become, of all things, a welcome center for Rice. I don’t doubt the urgent need for a new welcome center (actually I do), but did it seriously need to come at the expense of the only university site-specific installation gallery in the country? The two students lamented the fact that the new Moody Center for the Arts by the stadium, where the gallery is supposedly being “relocated,” lacked a dedicated space for site-specific installations, let alone a space for students to exhibit their work. This concern was echoed by Kelly Klaasmeyer in her article for the Houston Press, in which she states, “One still wonders why university leaders wouldn’t allow a dedicated art space and a cross-disciplinary space to exist simultaneously on campus.” I couldn’t agree more.

Lately, whenever I think of my alma mater, I come back to the words of Maya Angelou: “When people show you who they are, believe them.” What Rice is showing me these days is that it does not care about art. Perhaps Rice University would be well served by being reminded of its own crest: Letters, science, art.

Felisa Vergara Reynolds, PhD

Will Rice ’00, M.A. ’02

Assistant professor of French

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

From the managing editor’s makeshift desk: Saying farewell from afar

A couple weeks ago, I wrote nearly 900 words of eulogy for my loss of the final quarter of my final year at Rice. Like nearly everything I do, it was self-indulgent and entirely too in touch with my emotions. I submitted it to the Thresher (really I just sent our lovely opinion editor Elizabeth a Slack message) but very soon afterward, someone I love got sick and I decided not to go through with the editing process. 

Believing survivors is not a political convenience

I said I wouldn’t write another opinion for the Thresher after the Facebook comments I received for a submission about Brett Kavanaugh. Kind of feels like shouting into the void, anyway — am I really going to change someone’s mind who doesn’t want to listen to folks who say they’ve been sexually assaulted? But I’m back! Facebook comments be damned!Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee following Bernie Sanders’ endorsement, has been accused of sexual assault. Tara Reade, a former Senate aide who worked in Joe Biden’s Senate office, claimed that he sexually assaulted her in 1993. The details are disturbing. Reade allegedly told multiple friends and her brother about the incident. 

A call to revive, revamp and maintain Rice culture(s)

When we ran for our Student Association executive team positions and defined our platforms, we did not anticipate the arrival of COVID-19. Due to these unusual circumstances, we as members of the executive team have been rapidly thrust into our roles. We have relayed student concerns to administrators and have made an effort to amplify student voices as much as possible. We have been strategizing how we can best communicate with all of the Rice community during the coming weeks as we resume our virtual classwork. But throughout it all, one question has remained on our minds: How can we establish and maintain an intimate, engaging Rice culture and connection while members of the Rice community are so physically distant from each other?