Saturday, October 16, 2021 — Houston, TX °

SA organizes sit-in to protest credit limit vote

cucinfo

By Anita Alem and Drew Keller     4/19/16 9:01pm

The Student Association is organizing a sit-in to protest the Committee for Undergraduate Curriculum proposal to limit the number of credit hours undergraduate students may enroll in each semester.

According to the SA, the Faculty Senate will very likely pass the proposal on Wednesday during its noon meeting. A modification to the proposal was announced late Tuesday night following discussion with stakeholders including President David Leebron and Speaker of the Faculty Senate James Weston, according to SA President Griffin Thomas. The sit-in will still occur at noon at Founder’s Room in Lovett Hall.

“The sit-in will be a peaceful protest to demonstrate just how upset students are by the CUC’s proposal,” the SA’s description for the Facebook event states. “Our goal is not to disrupt or disrespect the Faculty Senate, but just ensure our voice is heard.”

According to Thomas, the Faculty Senate will complete one vote for all of the CUC’s proposals. The original proposal would lower the current limit of 20 hours for all students to a maximum of 17 hours for freshmen and a maximum of 18 hours for all other students, lower the petition limit to 21 hours from 24 and move petition reviews from the dean’s office to major departments, according to CUC subcommittee member Dorin Azerad. A shopping period for courses would allow students to register for up to 20 hours during the first week of classes.

Under the newly announced changes, freshmen's course loads would be capped at 18 hours instead of 17 and the new overload petition guidelines will be developed by the SA in conjunction with the Office of Academic Advising. Students would be able to petition their major advisor to overload, as under the original proposal. All of these changes would only apply to students in the fall's matriculating class and thereafter.

The revised proposal also recommends an administrative review of academic advising, with SA and Faculty Senate input.

According to a document distributed to students by Thomas, the proposal to reduce credit hours originated with Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson then proceeded to study by the CUC, which voted in favor of the changes.The document notes that Rice students tend to take more classes than at peer universities, that many Rice students who attempt to take high credit hour loads end up dropping classes and that academic stress is the most common reason for students to consult campus counseling.

Response to the original proposal had been mostly negative, with 87 percent out of 1,010 students against it in a set of campus-wide surveys.

Thomas said several students approached him about protesting, so the SA decided to host the event to ensure student concerns are heard in a nondisruptive manner. Thomas said he has spoken with the Speakar of the Faculty Senate James Weston and President David Leebron about the proposal.

I am truly grateful for their thoughtful consideration of student concerns,” Thomas said. “Unfortunately, the decision was still made to move forward with a vote on the proposal."

Editor's Note: This article was revised 11:00 p.m. Tuesday night to reflect the announcement of the modified proposal. The original version appears in the April 20 print edition of the paper.

Baker Institute director to step down after 28 years

Edward Djerejian, founding director of the Baker Institute for Public Policy, announced last week that he will step down at the end of June 2022. The first and only person to hold the position, Djerejian will have been at the helm of the Baker Institute for 28 years when he retires in April.

​​Rice joins inaugural cohort of Gulf Scholars Program for undergraduates to research environmental issues

Rice, along with six other universities across the Gulf Coast region, joined the initial phase of the National Academies Gulf Scholars Program. The program will expand undergraduate opportunities to research crucial environmental, health, energy and infrastructure issues in the Gulf Coast through a one-credit seminar course in the spring and fall semesters and a ten-week paid summer research experience, according to Jamie Padgett, the program’s faculty director. 

Opera Studies Music Director Miah Im remembered

Miah Im, music director of opera studies at Rice University, passed away on Sept. 30 at the age of 47 due to pancreatic cancer. Ana María Martínez, a Grammy award winning soprano and Shepherd School of Music’s Artist-in-Residence, was Im’s good friend and colleague of 20 years. She said that Im always cared for her work and responsibilities and took them very seriously.