Sunday, September 01, 2024 — Houston, TX

Reny Jose search continues after spring break

The search continues for Martel College senior Reny Jose, who went missing on Monday, March 3 while on vacation in Panama City Beach, Fla.

Jose was last seen by friends at 6:30 p.m. on Monday. According to the Bay County Sheriff’s Office, Jose’s clothes, cell phone and wallet were found in a trash can. The Sheriff’s Office reports that a friend told investigators that Jose had taken LSD and mentioned harming himself before he disappeared. Deputies have been searching the area around the home, and a dive team is searching the Gulf of Mexico near the beachfront home where Jose was staying.

His family is urging people to be vigilant and to continue looking for Jose. A Facebook page has been created to spread awareness, and there is a fund for people to donate money to the family to help the search efforts.

Reashma Jose, Reny’s sister, posted on the Facebook page on behalf of the family.

“I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. Your kind words, thoughts and prayers have kept us hopeful,” Reashma Jose said. “Waiting to hear the news of Reny’s whereabouts each day has been agonizing. We ask that you please continue to keep us in your prayers. Reny is very much a pillar in our family and just as he would never give up on us, we refuse to give up on him. Thank you all again for everything.”

Martel College held a candlelit vigil for Jose Tuesday, March 11 in the Martel Quad. Students from across campus were invited to attend.

Anyone with information about Jose is asked to call RUPD at 713-348-6000.

Rice gathers for vigil honoring Andrea Rodriguez Avila

Rice students and staff paid their respects to Andrea Rodriguez Avila in a candlelight service, held Aug. 28 in the Rice Memorial Chapel. Over a hundred attendees, including Andrea’s family, filled the chapel’s pews while dozens more stood to the side. The ceremony, hosted by community faith members, opened with remarks from Provost Amy Dittmar.

Remembering Andrea Rodriguez Avila

On a spring night, Andrea Rodriguez Avila was wrapping up her Peer Academic Advisor training. Her close friend, Karen Martinez, wanted boba tea; it was nearing the end of the semester, and everything was "messy and unorganized," she said. The two went to The Tea Nook on campus — Andrea had never been. "We talked the whole way there," Martinez said, and all through their wait in the line.

Rice adds ED II to application process

Rice introduced an Early Decision II plan June 17 that took effect in the 2024-25 admission cycle. Students applying in the ED II round must submit materials by Jan. 4, 2025 and will receive decisions by mid-February. The deadline for ED I remains unchanged from Nov. 1.