Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Reny Jose search continues after spring break

The search continues for Martel College senior Reny Jose, who went missing on Monday, March 3 while on vacation in Panama City Beach, Fla.

Jose was last seen by friends at 6:30 p.m. on Monday. According to the Bay County Sheriff’s Office, Jose’s clothes, cell phone and wallet were found in a trash can. The Sheriff’s Office reports that a friend told investigators that Jose had taken LSD and mentioned harming himself before he disappeared. Deputies have been searching the area around the home, and a dive team is searching the Gulf of Mexico near the beachfront home where Jose was staying.

His family is urging people to be vigilant and to continue looking for Jose. A Facebook page has been created to spread awareness, and there is a fund for people to donate money to the family to help the search efforts.

Reashma Jose, Reny’s sister, posted on the Facebook page on behalf of the family.

“I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. Your kind words, thoughts and prayers have kept us hopeful,” Reashma Jose said. “Waiting to hear the news of Reny’s whereabouts each day has been agonizing. We ask that you please continue to keep us in your prayers. Reny is very much a pillar in our family and just as he would never give up on us, we refuse to give up on him. Thank you all again for everything.”

Martel College held a candlelit vigil for Jose Tuesday, March 11 in the Martel Quad. Students from across campus were invited to attend.

Anyone with information about Jose is asked to call RUPD at 713-348-6000.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.