Land holdings bolster endowment

By Anita Alem     3/11/14 5:46pm

Rice University owns several pieces of land around Texas and other parts of the southern United States. These investments are all maintained by the Rice Management Company, a division of the university responsible for managing the school’s endowment. Compiled by Anita Alem

Rice University owns several pieces of land around Texas and other parts of the southern United States. These investments are all maintained by the Rice Management Company, a division of the university responsible for managing the school’s endowment. Compiled by Anita Alem

Waller County Land: 3,979 acres

Houston/Sugar Land Metropolitan

After a fire in 2011 destroyed the forests on this property, the Rice Management Company has replaced 450 acres as land for cattle grazing.

Southwest Louisiana: 50,000 acres 

of timberland

The trees on this land absorb more than 57,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, offsetting over half of Rice’s annual gross greenhouse gas emissions. The property is also in the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries’ safe-harbor program as a home to the Louisiana red-cockaded woodpecker. Rice faculty members use residual forest biomass gathered from the Louisiana site for their research on biochar.

Near Rice’s campus:

Village Arcade Shopping Center

2400 University Blvd, Houston, TX 77005

The Rice Management Company is in the process of buying out Weingarten Realty’s economic interest in this land. The deal will be completed by this fall

Midtown: 6.4 acres near the intersection of Main, Caroline and Highway 59.

Rice owns the land and leased it on a long-term basis to Sears in 1946. Currently, a Sears and Fiesta grocery store still operate on Rice’s leased land.

The Impeccable Pig at 2511 University Blvd.

This is a women’s clothing retailer in Rice Village that leases the property from Rice. 

Historical holdings:

From 1962 to 1971, Rice owned the land on which Yankee Stadium is built.

In the 1960s, Rice donated the undeveloped land it owned in Southeast Houston to NASA, to be used as part of the Apollo program.