Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

This Week in Entertainment

6cd29f48c192d38d0c114742178ad4ee

By Louis Lesser     1/20/14 6:00pm

I, Frankenstein

Based on the popular graphic novel by Kevin Grevioux and from the creators of the Underworld film series comes this horror-influenced action-fantasy, starring Aaron Eckhart (The Dark Knight) as a dystopia-dwelling Frankenstein. In the film's version of the classic story, the famous creation becomes a key figure in the middle of a war between demons and gargoyles as both races attempt to find the secret behind the monster's immortality. PG-13. 93 minutes. Also in 3-D and Imax.

2014 Grammy Nominees

Various Artists

As is tradition, the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences has created a compilation of the biggest tracks of the last year that will be competing for prizes at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards Jan. 26. Nominees featured include songs from Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Daft Punk, Sara Bareilles and Taylor Swift. Other notable artists featured in the collection include Imagine Dragons, Bruno Mars, Lorde and Robin Thicke, who have all received nominations for their year-defining tunes.

Captain Phillips

Fresh from its Academy Award nomination for best picture, the sea-set drama makes its way onto TV and computer screens. Telling the true story of the 2009 Maersk Alabama hijacking and starring Tom Hanks (Saving Mr. Banks), this suspenseful film polarized global audiences this past fall. Bonus features include audio commentary and behind-the-scenes documentaries. 

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

The fifth installment of this best-selling video game series turned film franchise has been redesigned for the next-generation gaming consoles in extensive detail. The enhanced version of the reboot game comes with exclusive concept art, a digital version of the Dark Horse comic book and additional downloadable content. Available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.