Friday, October 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 65°

This Week in Entertainment

3438545e355bcbfa56f1875b9a1a46a9

By Louis Lesser     1/13/14 6:00pm

Is There Anybody Out There?

A Great Big World

After a performance of its single "Say Something" with Christina Aguilera on NBC's The Voice, this folksy singer-songwriter duo has broken into the mainstream in a big way. The collection includes Glee-featured "This Is The New Year," among other piano-driven pop songs.

High Hopes

Bruce Springsteen

The 18th studio album of this legendary rocker's career places the artist in a variety of musical situations, playing both grander songs and more stripped down tracks. It has been met with mostly positive critical reception, and fans have high hopes that the CD will be another success in an already storied career. 

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Chris Pine (Star Trek) is the fourth actor to take over the role of Tom Clancy's famed agent in this reboot of the storied action franchise. In the new installment, agent Jack Ryan (Pine) uncovers evidence of an impending terrorist attack in Russia and travels to Moscow in order to investigate. PG-13. 105 minutes.

Need for Speed Rivals

Released during the holiday season, this new installment of the classic racing game features breakthroughs in online gameplay. The game will also get players excited for the upcoming Need for Speed film. Available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC.

Ride Along

This action comedy stars Ice Cube (21 Jump Street) as a cop and Kevin Hart (Think Like A Man) as his soon-to-be brother-in-law. In an effort to earn the marital blessing of his girlfriend's sibling, Hart's character pairs up with his street-tested counterpart. PG-13. 100 minutes.  

Lee Daniels' The Butler

One of the surprise hits of the summer comes out for home viewing just before Academy Award nominations are announced, and the film is expected to contend in several categories. The film chronicles the major events of the 20th century as seen through the eyes of someone on the inside.

Paul Otremba celebrated at posthumous book launch

Before passing away this June from cancer, Rice professor Paul Otremba got to see an early print of his third book of poetry, “Levee.” Published posthumously in early September, “Levee” received a launch and reading this past Thursday at the Menil Collection, hosted by Inprint, a local literary arts nonprofit organization. 

Palantir visit prompts petition, protest

More than 150 Rice University community members have signed a petition urging the department of computer science to drop Palantir Technologies from a computer science mixer event on the evening of Oct. 10, due to contention over Palantir’s ongoing contracts with U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.