Friday, May 29, 2020 — Houston, TX °

This Week in Entertainment

d6504436663b1662d3b7dc8510797f26

By Louis Lesser     11/5/13 6:00pm

Batman: Arkham Origins 

Follow the original story of the Caped Crusader and explore the dark side of Gotham City in this third installment of the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham series. The game play is similar to its predecessors but also includes new gadgets, stealth combat features, customization abilities and the series' first foray into online multiplayer. Available for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PC.

ARTPOP

Lady Gaga

The third studio album from the pop sensation is a musical departure from her previous effort, Born This Way (2011), taking a more artistic sound. The collection features collaborations, including ones with hip-hop artists such as T.I., Twista and Too Short, as well as with electro-house producers Madeon and Zedd. Preceded by lead singles "Applause" and "Do What U Want," which have netted moderate success, Gaga's army of "monsters" should propel the album to high first-week sales.

Man of Steel 

The most recent reboot of the Superman franchise stars Henry Cavill (Immortals)  in a new take on the classic story. Despite mixed reviews, the film was successful in the box office and inspired the production of a sequel featuring fellow DC Comics hero Batman. Director Zack Snyder's film also stars Amy Adams (The Master) and Laurence Fishburne (CSI) in supporting roles. Bonus features include commentary and behind-the-scenes documentaries. Also available in 3-D.

Thor - The Dark World 

The sequel to Thor, the 2011 film debut of the eponymous Marvel Comics hero, this movie marks the eighth film in The Avengers franchise. Chris Hemsworth (Rush) returns as hammer-wielding Norseman Thor, who has to fight an ancient race threatening his home universe of Asgard. Faced with a seemingly insurmountable enemy, Thor must work with his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston, Midnight in Paris) to save his people and the people of Earth. PG-13. 111 minutes. Also in 3-D.

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.