Wiess, McMurtry, Hanszen select new batch of RAs

By Andrew Ta     4/10/13 7:00pm

McMurtry College: Brad Blunt 

Assistant Director of Academic Advising 

Why McMurtry? 

During O-Week, they approached me about becoming an associate. So I became one in September, and I had the chance to hang out with an O-Week group. I still have lunch with them each Friday. They instantly made me feel like part of the family. When I saw the announcement about the RA opportunity and saw that McMurtry was one of the colleges, my eyes lit up, and fortunately, events in my life convinced me the timing was right. 

Any event ideas? 

Being an RA is, in one sense, an extension of my role as an adviser since the colleges are the central home for academics at the university. Academic rules and regulations are really dry, but they're really important and can trip students up. I intend to have periodic sessions to clarify stuff. 

I love to make ice cream, so some study breaks with homemade ice cream. My background is in music. I would love to have an earworm society where McMurtry students can do show and tell with music they've been listening to. 

Any kids or pets? 

I have two kids: a 9-year-old son, Jonah, and a 6-year-old daughter, Sophie. They won't live with me full time, but they'll be with me at least one weekend a month. They're really excited; they haven't been around McMurtry before. 

Hanszen College: Alan and Rebecca Russell 

Director of Disability Support Services and Archivist Librarian, respectively 

What do you like about Hanszen? 

Rebecca: The students were so welcoming and warm. We felt this was a great atmosphere. Hanszen's typically described as a family college, and we definitely got that feeling. At the interview, we liked the questions and the interaction. 

What are some of your hobbies? 

Alan: I like British movies [and TV shows]: James Bond, Doctor Who. Movies are a good way of inviting students in, then we can have a relaxing conversation and get to know each other. 

Rebecca: We like cult shows - Game of Thrones, that sort of thing. 

I like to cook and to try different recipes. We love to travel. We lived in England after we married. We went to France and Belgium, at least, together, and [we have] both independently been [all over]. 

Any pets? 

Rebecca: Alan wants a big dog, and I want a little dog. So therefore, we don't have either. 

What Rice/Hanszen traditions do you enjoy? 

Rebecca: We're looking forward to Crane Day. It's a get-together that goes back to when Wiess [College] was remodeling and there was a crane above the area. 

We're looking forward to Willy Week, with the jacks and all. 

Alan: It's good fun. 

Hanszen College: Diana and Danny Garcia 

Human Resources Specialist and Private Engineer for Dow Chemical Company, respectively 

What sort of things did you do in college? 

Diana: I played lacrosse all four years on the university team. One memorable experience was when my friends and I created wild-out Thursday when we would just kind of play tag or hide-and-go-seek, silly things to do something different. 

Danny: I was an engineering major. I was very busy. I did both my bachelor's and master's at the same time. Although I didn't have much time, I did play intramural soccer. I love soccer, so that's what I did in my free time. 

What do you like about Rice? 

Diana: We actually came to our first Beer Bike this year. It was incredible; we haven't seen other schools do something like it. Great way to unite not only within each college, but [also] among the colleges and everyone at Rice. 

Any pets? 

Diana: We have two boston terriers: one male named Massimo and one female named Georgia. I know they're going to be loved and they're going to love it at Hanszen. 

Any Hanszen traditions you like? 

Diana: With me not being too much on campus and being in a department that isn't quite involved, there isn't much we know yet of any Hanszen traditions. [But I found out] a little bit about powderpuff, and it sounds cool, so that's open. I would definitely like to play on that or be involved on that. 

Wiess College: Nicoletta Orlandi

Assistant Professor of Philosophy 

Why did you want to be an RA? 

I was already an associate for Wiess. I really enjoy mentoring students. I think Rice students are awesome. They're really smart. I love talking with them and would like to do that more, and being an RA would be a good way to do that. 

What are your passions? 

Argentine tango. It's like regular tango, but not for competition. It's a social kind of dance. It's really nice, the music's nice, and the people who do it are nice. It's a good dance for getting your mind off work. If people are interested, I'd do a few classes. 

Any pets? 

None, but I really like dogs. I'd have one, but I travel too much, typically on business. I go home to Italy twice a year, too. 

What have been your past interactions with Wiess? 

Wiess got me when I first arrived at Rice in 2007. Someone came to me and said, "You look like a Wiess person because you're so independent," so I started knowing a little bit more about the college. I liked the atmosphere; there were a bunch of independent people. It was good. I have never been to [Night of Decadence], and I don't have any plans [to go]. Once, a bunch of RAs and I put together a play one year with the Wiess associates, and that was a lot of fun. It'll be great to to be there. 

Interviews by News Editor Andrew Ta