This Week in Entertainment

By Louis Lesser     3/7/13 6:00pm

God of War - his PlayStation 3 exclusive game serves as a prequel to the God of War series and is the seventh title in the collection. Telling the story of Ares' betrayal of Kratos, the source of his rage, and his quest for freedom, the game includes new combat mechanics, improved online game play and multiplayer support for the first time in the history of the franchise. 

People, Hell & Angels  -  A collection of 12 never-before-released studio recordings from Jimi Hendrix, one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, this album showcases tracks featuring Hendrix developing material with ensembles outside the Jimi Hendrix Experience trio. Featuring appearances from saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood, guitarist Larry Lee and frequent partners Buddy Miles and Billy Cox, this new group of songs proves the masterwork of the rhythmic guitar legend and the legacy he left on rock music.

The Next Day - The first studio album in 10 years from rock legend David Bowie came as a surprise to fans on the star's 66th birthday. Still, after two years of recording, Bowie's 24th collection of original songs is finally being released. Containing thought-provoking, strange ballads and dark melodies, the album has already received widespread critical acclaim and looks to mark the start of a comeback for the previously out-of-the-spotlight musician.

Dead Man Down - The first major blockbuster of 2013 stars James Franco (127 Hours) as the Wizard of Oz himself in this fantasy prequel to the 1937 cinema classic. After a circus magician finds himself whisked away to the magical Land of Oz, he must put his magical arts to the test when his new world is threatened by three mysterious witches. Also starring Mila Kunis (Black Swan) and Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn), Disney hopes to start a new franchise with this family adventure and is banking on large box office receipts after a lukewarm 2012. PG. 130 min. (Also in IMAX and 3-D)

Life of pi - The winner of four Academy Awards, including best director (Ang Lee) and best cinematography, this epic tale of reality versus fantasy delighted critics and audiences alike this past fall. Based on the novel by Yann Martel, the plot involves a boy stranded on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean with a Bengal tiger, fighting for his survival and questioning his faith along the way. Bonus features include behind the scenes documentaries, deleted scenes and production still galleries. (Also in 3-D)