This Week in Entertainment

By Louis Lesser     11/1/12 7:00pm

R.E.D. (Ne-Yo) - The fifth studio album from the R&B superstar (the name is an acronym for "Realizing Every Dream") hopes to reenergize a fan base after 2010's disappointing effort Libra Scale. This marks the first Motown Records album for NeYo, who was recently appointed senior vice president for artists and repertoire of the label. As evidenced by his top-10 single "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)," the singer seems to be placing a heavier emphasis on dance synth and lyrical content and attempting to cross his appeal over to even larger mainstream audiences.

Wreck-It Ralph - A whimsical look at the world of arcade games features the voice of John C. Reilly (Step Brothers) as the antagonist of a classic game who decides he no longer wants to be the bad guy. Through the use of power outlets, he visits other video games, and he encounters a cast of colorful characters who prove he is more than just a villain. Viewed and positively received by Rice students earlier this week in an advance screening, Disney seems to have another family blockbuster on its hands. (PG, 108 min.)

TheAmazingSpider-Man -This reboot of the superhero franchise stars Andrew Garfield (The Social Network) as the famed webslinger and tells the origin story of the hero. The movie follows high school student Peter Parker in his evolution from mild-mannered academic to superhuman, defending NYC from the Lizard (Rhys Ifans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1), while saving his sweetheart Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone, The Help). Bonus features include deleted scenes, audio commentaries, screen tests and stunt rehearsals. (PG-13, 136 min., available on DVD and Blu-Ray)

¡Dos! (Green Day) - The second in a trilogy of albums (the first entry, ¡Uno!, was released on Sept. 21 to generally positive reception and a No. 2 debut on the Billboard 200) contains a dirtier garage rock sound than its predecessor. The album will feature 13 tracks instead of 12, including a tribute track to singer Amy Winehouse, "Amy." The first single, "Stray Heart," has only recently been released, but a passionate fan base indicates a strong return for the band and sets up for the conclusion of the newest era of Green Day.

Flight - This suspenseful drama, starring Denzel Washington (Training Day), marks the first live-action directorial effort from Academy Award-winner Robert Zemeckis since 2000's Cast Away. The film follows an investigation of a pilot's emergency landing, in which he saves all the passengers but had alcohol in his system during the flight - an offense which might land him in prison. Featuring John Goodman (Argo) and Don Cheadle (Iron Man 2) in supporting roles, this film has already received early acclaim, seeming to garner support for its star's third Oscar. (R, 139 min.)

The Last Man (Vince Flynn) - The 13th novel in the Mitch Rapp series, this new edition follows the counter-terrorist operative as he is dispatched to Afghanistan in order to find the missing CIA head of clandestine operations, all while avoiding the FBI on his trail. With his base operations in crisis, Rapp must be ruthless and deceitful in order to complete his mission. Early reviews indicate that this entry maintains the same thrilling tone of its predecessors, with some saying this edition may be one of the best yet.