Wednesday, September 23, 2020 — Houston, TX °

TABC investigates NOD vendor

By Andrew Ta     11/8/12 6:00pm

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission launched an investigation into the source of the alcohol served at Wiess College's Night of Decadence party, according to TABC Director of Communications and Governmental Relations Carolyn Beck. 

"Whenever there is an alcohol-related incident that results in serious injury or fatality, we conduct a source investigation," Beck said. "We're looking to see if alcohol was provided illegally by a TABC-licensed server to a minor. If it wasn't whoever provided alcohol at [NOD], who was it?" 

The TABC is currently looking into the vendor registered for the event but may look into other sources of alcohol close to Rice, according to Beck. 

Willy's Pub and Valhalla, as TABC-licensed locations, are subject to regular investigation, Beck said. 

"I actually don't know [whether Pub and Valhalla are being investigated currently]," Beck said. "But it's part of investigators' jobs. It's completely normal." 

Beck said investigators are in plain clothes while doing their job. 

"There is no uniform for TABC investigators," Beck said. 

According to Beck, the length of an investigation is unpredictable, and details will be withheld because the investigation is ongoing. 

Once the investigation concludes, if alcohol was served either to a minor or an intoxicated person by a vendor, jail time or a fine might be the penalty, according to Beck. She said that for individuals unaffiliated with an organization, such punishments are still possible, but only for serving to a minor. 

According to Beck, the TABC was not looking into Rice or its alcohol policy. 

Rice ranked No. 16 in 2021 U.S. News rankings

Breaking its four-year tie with Cornell University, Rice University’s ranking tied with Washington University of St. Louis at No. 16 in the newly released U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best National Universities list, one place up from No. 17 last year.

New Sid Rich on track to finish by Jan. 2021

Construction of the new Sid Richardson College building is on schedule to be completed by the start of the spring semester and will be ready for occupancy when students return in the spring, according to Anzilla Gilmore, senior project manager for new Sid.