Monday, January 27, 2020 — Houston, TX 59°

TABC investigates NOD vendor

By Andrew Ta     11/8/12 6:00pm

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission launched an investigation into the source of the alcohol served at Wiess College's Night of Decadence party, according to TABC Director of Communications and Governmental Relations Carolyn Beck. 

"Whenever there is an alcohol-related incident that results in serious injury or fatality, we conduct a source investigation," Beck said. "We're looking to see if alcohol was provided illegally by a TABC-licensed server to a minor. If it wasn't whoever provided alcohol at [NOD], who was it?" 

The TABC is currently looking into the vendor registered for the event but may look into other sources of alcohol close to Rice, according to Beck. 

Willy's Pub and Valhalla, as TABC-licensed locations, are subject to regular investigation, Beck said. 

"I actually don't know [whether Pub and Valhalla are being investigated currently]," Beck said. "But it's part of investigators' jobs. It's completely normal." 

Beck said investigators are in plain clothes while doing their job. 

"There is no uniform for TABC investigators," Beck said. 

According to Beck, the length of an investigation is unpredictable, and details will be withheld because the investigation is ongoing. 

Once the investigation concludes, if alcohol was served either to a minor or an intoxicated person by a vendor, jail time or a fine might be the penalty, according to Beck. She said that for individuals unaffiliated with an organization, such punishments are still possible, but only for serving to a minor. 

According to Beck, the TABC was not looking into Rice or its alcohol policy. 

O-Week PAAs will no longer be affiliated with O-Week groups

Beginning the fall of 2020, Orientation Week Peer Academic Advisors will no longer also serve as O-Week advisors. The Office of Academic Advising instituted this change to lower the mental and physical strain for students chosen for those positions, according to Aliya Bhimani. 

First week of school: Campus has no cool

Due to ongoing construction at the Central Plant, the campus has experienced disruptions in air cooling at both residential and academic buildings over the past week, exacerbated by a heat wave that culminated in a record-high 83 degrees on Wednesday.