This Week in Entertainment

By Louis Lesser     10/4/12 7:00pm

"Halcyon"

Ellie Goulding: The British songstress looks to capitalize on her surge in U.S. popularity following this summer's breakout hit single "Lights." Her second album provides more of her synth-pop sound, and lead singles "Anything Can Happen" and "Explosions" are already major hits in England. However, as evidenced by the slow rise of her former sleeper hit, which took 15 months to break into the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, it may take time before Goulding can find similar success with these songs on American radio stations.

"Taken 2"

The follow-up to the surprise 2009 hit sees star Liam Neeson return as retired intelligence agent Bryan Mills, only this time around, it is his ex-wife (Famke Janssen, "X-Men") who is captured by the villainous group from the first film as an act of revenge. Despite the general acclaim of its predecessor, the film has already been released in European markets, and early reviews have indicated that a re-tread plot makes this installment feel unnecessary. PG-13, 92 minutes.

"Prometheus"

Director Ridley Scott ("Gladiator") returns to his sci-fi roots with this prequel to his classic thriller "Alien." Starring Michael Fassbender ("Shame") and Charlize Theron , this visually stunning movie centers on the crew of a spaceship as it searches for the remnants of the ancient culture of the Earth and the origins of humanity. While reviews were mixed in regard to the plot of the film, the cinematography and special effects have received near-universal acclaim. R, 124 minutes. Available on DVD, Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D.

"Lace Up"

MGK: The debut album from Cleveland rapper MGK (also known as Machine Gun Kelly) marks the first major release for Bad Boy Records since CEO Diddy's 2010 "Last Train to Paris." Perhaps best known for his fast flow and his party-starter "Wild Boy," MGK looks to use his album as a means of creating a darker sound than his lively, feisty mixtapes, as evidenced by lead single "Invincible." The album contains features from rappers Tech N9ne, Twista, Waka Flocka Flame and Houston hip-hop mainstay/former Rice professor Bun B.

Pitch Perfect"

Successfully shown in limited release last weekend, this musical comedy aims to capitalize on the success of the TV show "Glee" and the surplus of singing talent shows on television to become a hit with audiences. Starring Anna Kendrick ("Up in the Air"), the movie follows a college women's a cappella group in its quest to make a name for itself in a male-dominated competition. The soundtrack features covers of songs such as "Just the Way You Are" and "Party in the U.S.A.," creating a pop-centered score. PG-13, 112 minutes.

"30 Rock" (Season Seven)

The highly acclaimed NBC comedy returned Thursday, Oct. 4 for its seventh and final season. This 13 episode season aims to appease fans by wrapping up long-running storylines and finding suitable endings for beloved characters such as Liz Lemon (Tina Fey, "Date Night") and Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin, "Rock of Ages"). Look for recurring characters to make appearances throughout the season and the return of main cast member Maulik Pancholy ("Whitney") as Donaghy's obsessively admiring assistant, Jonathan.